Please help! I think my son has an insect phobia!

About a week and a half ago my five yr old son was outside playing and got stung by a wasp on the left backside of his neck. He had never been stung before. Six days later my son was out in the garage with me. He kept telling me that he felt something crawling on his back. I would repeatably reassure him nothing was there. A few moments later he was screaming and ripping his shirt off convinced there were bugs crawling all over him. I never found a bug or a sting spot. For days I was dealing with my son itching and occasionally out-bursting about bugs crawling on him. Yesterday I took him to the doctor and he couldn't find anything wrong so he did a blood test to see if his liver was enlarged. The test came back fine. Today we went outside and not one minute later a wasp flew past my son. He panicked immediately ran inside screaming. This continued for prob 30 min. I'm hoping for any help on what to do with this situation.!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• How old is he? This happened to my granddaughter last year. She got stung by a bee though. She is now terrified of all insects. We have just been slowly introducing insects to her again. If there is a nature center near where you live, you can take him there, where the insects are behind glass, but he can still learn about them. Hope that helps.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010