When should you start your baby with a sippy cup?

my son is almost 6 months...is it too early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. My doc told me to start with apple juice after he did ok with apple sauce. So between 4.5 and 5 months. :)
    Anonymous

• Not to early. I would start with a soft spout sippy. I actually prefer the fisher price one's that you can find at dollar general. By the time they are 11-12 mos old you can switch to a straw if you are up to it. I found the fisher price didn't leak anywhere near what the nuby ones did but nuby has great straw cups. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• If he can hold a bottle, he can hold a sippy. Or at least start trying. Know harm in starting.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Go for it. I started with like an oz of juice or water at like 4 months. He learned quick. He went to a straw sippy at 8 months and now wont use the regular sippies..lol...
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i started my son with a sippy cup at 6 months. but only water. dont give him juice, its not necessary, its just sugar and shit. the only juice that i did and do give my son in a sippy cup is orange juice when hes sick.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I started by 6 months with all of my kids, with water only, then formula once they had the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• I would suggest offering one with water around the same time you start solids, and offer it with the solid feeding, after nursing or a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010