My son is 21 mos, I'm ready to stop breasfeeding but he isn't!!

He nurses about 3 times a day, I'm starting to find it annoying, sometimes when he's nursing I find myself gritting my teeth. Friends have told me just to stop if I'm ready. However, I feel that this is about him, any advice?? Sometimes I can head him off, offer a drink of water or milk but other times he'll pick up his nursing pillow and follow me around crying booba, booba.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just drop one a day for a week and then drop another or you could stop cold turkey. Otherwise you will be nursing until he is ready to stop. My neighbor actually put bandaids on her nipples and told her son that they were boo boo's and that he would have to wait until the boo boo's were better. He finally stopped asking to nurse after about 3 weeks. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Do you have anyone that can take him overnight for a couple of night? Close enough that it's not a huge pain to get him there, but far enough that you can't just drop everything and pick him up quick.
    Anonymous

• Closest overnight possibility is 3 hrs away...... Couldn't ask my friends with their own kids to deal with him, I read somewhere that weaning a child before they're ready could do lasting psychological damage, at the least I imagine it would take a while to rebuild his trust if I dumped him with no booby.......
    Anonymous

• Your kid and mine! 20 months and still going strong....
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• This is very normal for you to be feeling and my best advice is to get a little time for yourself every day. This helped me greatly in getting past the gritting teeth while nursing thing. My daughter just weaned herself about a month ago and she was 35 months old. If you really want to wean then just slowly take away a feeding at a time, but I am a big supporter of self weaning. You need time for you even if it is just vegging in front of the TV so schedule that into your day no matter how hard it may seem and see if that helps a little.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010