Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I afford to live on my own?

I'm a 26 year old newly divorced/single mom and I'm currently living at home with my mother and grandmother. I work a 9 to 5 monday through friday as an office administrator but I only make enough money to pay the bills. I just started getting child support but it's not even enough to cover my daughters daycare bills for the month. Then I still have to pay rent, phone, food, insurance, medical ect. I never have anything left over to save and I feel like I'm going to be stuck living with my mom forever!!!!! What to do, What to do?!?!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Just think of your Mom and grandma as room mates.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Get a 2nd job on weekends.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • I refuse to take a second job. I don't feel like I shoud sacrifice any more time away from my child than I already do. I don't want other people raising my kid

    Answer by Juleeann at 7:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • What are realistic options?
    *Live with a bunch of non family members and have the same expenses.
    *Study at night or weekends to get a better work situation.
    *Stay until your daugther is old enough to care for herself, then child support can go towards her regular expenses instead of daycare and you can start saving some of your salary or look for your own living place.
    *Find weekend/occassional work and start saving towards a cushion. See if your mom or grandmom can watch your daughter for that period of time. Or babysit on weekends and bring your daughter with you.
    *Try to shave expenses and set that aside. Search for the cheapest insurance, try some vegan meals, look for clothes on places like freecycle, etc. I assume the health insurance is job required and at a set cost, and that the amount you pay in rent is reasonable. Otherwise see what can be worked out.
    With children involved everything takes time.

    Answer by oddfox at 8:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Find a better paying job. Find another mother in your situation and share a house or apartment.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • I was in your shoes. try to get into a housing place. apply for food stamps, maybe you can get discounted insurance. check your local resources good luck

    Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Enjoy your mom! She won't be around forever.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.