alright so.. how do i get my son to sit in the dentist chair????

i took my son with me to the dentist so they could look at my wisdom teeth. the whole point was to set an example for him so he knows the dentist isn't scary and won't hurt you (if you brush your teeth regularly). so, i went first to show him it wasn't so bad. then i tried to have him go.. he would not sit in that chair. he wouldn't even let the dentist near him. im thinking maybe cuz the dentist looks like a doctor and the only memories he has at the doctors office is getting shots. but anyway, what should i do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go again, you be the patient. Then have him sit in your lap and ask the dentist (or hygienist) to count his teeth in the mirror. then you are done....the next time, you are the patient, he sits in your lap after and thy hygienist can clean his teeth and the dentist can count them....GL.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I said "count in the mirror" so your ds can watch and learn how many teeth he has. :)
    kjrn79

• At home you can pretend to be the patient and let him be the dentist so he feels he has some control over the situation. Have him count your teeth and pretend to brush your teeth...you can even call him Dentist Johnny (your son's real name though). I would explain that the dentist is different than the doctor and makes sure there are no yucky germs in our mouths that try to make holes in our teeth. Maybe you can ask him what specifically he does not like about the dentist or the dentist chair and focus on trying to fix that one aspect with his suggestions of what would make the dentist chair not so scary. Helping to come up with ways not to make it scary will give him confidence and control. At home, I also would give him a turn being the patient so he can get used to someone poking around in his mouth! lol GL :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Find a pediatric dentist. They specialize in kids and their fears so you'll probably have better luck. I plan to take my 3 yr old for the first time in July and that's my plan.
    Anonymous

• My 3 yo sat in my lap while I laid on the chair. The dentist counted her teeth, and even brushed them. Before we even went, I shower my DD a bunch of you tube videos of kids at the dentist, to prepare her.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• showed***
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Our dentist was great and just let her sit in my lap and talked with her and played and got her to open enough to see her teeth a little and the hygienist gave her a new toothbrush and used it to brush her teeth. My son who is now 5 was wonderful and gladly opened like a lion and let them clean and look at his teeth the first time (3 years old) and every time since.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Hello,

I was terrified about taking my so to the dentist, so I played pretend a few months before, a couple times a week. I would let my son be the dentist and then I would play dentist, I explained everything the dentist might do. When we finally went to the real dentist he had no problem at all I was very surprised because my son doesn't like doctors at all so I was afraid he wouldn't like the dentist either but he did a great job and the dentist was actually kind of mean so I was very surprised, but he got some freebies so he was really happy about that!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 7:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2010