I have a 14 month old son who ate just about everything until about a week ago. Now all he will eat is toast and cheese. Is this a normal stage?

katiebug29

Asked by katiebug29 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, so my son is only 11 months now but i like to read ahead on everything. And i just read that they do go through those stages and that it will pass. On the other hand it didnt give any advise on what to do :(

carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• It's a normal impulse, but you have to be careful how you handle it. It doesn't matter how much food you waste, you need to be offering him the same variety you always have. Act like it's no big deal. Give him a few different things at each meal, and do what you can to encourage him to have at least a taste of each. Don't grill him into the ground on eating his broccoli, but also don't act like there's any reason he shouldn't like broccoli or anything green. The worst thing you can do is start planning his meals around the 3-4 "greatest hits" you know he will eat -- cheese, bread, hot dogs are popular ones... It's okay to offer these things like anything else... but make sure he's being asked to eat what the family is eating. Always and forever. This has worked for our 3 children and they just don't have the "picky" eater problems that everyone talks about. They have their preferences, but they eat!
    Anonymous

• My oldest 3 went through a picky stage, but I always just fixed the same food as always. I didn't give in to their demands on what they wanted and they quickly learned that if they were hungry they could eat what we were having, or wait until the next snack/mealtime. It's not a bad thing to give him the toast and cheese every 2-3 days, but don't make it all you give him!

Answer by missanc at 10:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• yes it is normal he will get sick of toast and cheese and want something else just keep giving it to him as a snack and be more creative with it . my daughters food was CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.so we added a sandwich with it put vegitables in it and made it fun eventually she had so much chicken noodle soup she didnt want it anymore
    KYMOMMY2007

Answer by KYMOMMY2007 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010