he holds in his pee until he's about to burst!

i know when my son starts grabbing himself that he has to pee. but when i tell him to go to the bathroom he says he doesn't have to go. he even does a little potty dance. then it gets to the point where he says "I HAVE TO GO POTTY!" and runs full speed to the bathroom.. then either pees a little in his underwear, or on the toilet seat, because he can't hold it anymore. how can i get him to stop this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like you NEED to make him go when he does that.

Answer by louise2 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Oh my DD does the SAME THING!!!!! I try to remind her several times throughout the day to use the potty. When I see her shake, I tell her to get on the potty. The last few times she didn't make it due to being stubborn, I put a pull up on her. I told her if she isn't going to use the potty she is going to wear a pull up, which she HATES. Since doing that she has been MUCH better about going on her own.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Children, like adults, put off toileting because they rather do something else; the difference is adults can hold it!

I did tell ds that when his penis is sticking out it means he needs to go. If that doesn't help you could try telling him you'll pause his show (if he's watching tv), or you'll make sure that his tower isn't toppled, or that if you think "his body" need to go he has to sit on the potty 5 minutes "trying" before he can play again.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• when he starts holding it or doing the "dance" remove him from his activity and tell him he cannot go back until he has used the bathroom.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 9:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Go with him. Some kids are afraid of going to the bathroom alone

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Hello,

I have been going through the same thing. My son will be bouncing off the walls and still say he doesn't need to go potty, so I have been telling him he needs to at least try, which he gets mad about but its better then cleaning up a mess and him getting upset because he had an accident. Good Luck I hope you figure out what works for your child I know its very stressful.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 12:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2010