Any suggestions for Eczema ?

my nephew has a worse case of eczema.... he is 6mo and 15lbs he doesnt eat much and he scratches his face and body so bad it oozes. I almost cried in front of my sis because the baby looks so helpless and irritated. Any suggestions? :(

Kidist973

Asked by Kidist973 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can she bring him to the doctor. Or try over the counter Eczema cream. Witch hazel for the itching.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son has the same thing. Have she taken him to the doc? They should be able to get him some medication. I also use Cetaphil on my son. You can by that at Walmart for about $11. But makes sure the doctor can give him some medicine first to close up the broken skin.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yes she took him to the Dr. and he did prescribe him meds for skin to close up and it did ,but he still itches and cant even sleep well. The Dr. said just moisturize.
    Kidist973

Answer by Kidist973 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• sun, and epsom salt baths, lotion everyday to keep my kids skin from getting to dry, and cortison when that doesnt work or if they are itching really bad, my son doesnt itch his but my daughter goes crazy. and if all else fails call your doctor! good luck!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 7:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Infrequent baths with plain water. If soap, a plain soap that has no scent and no dyes. I would avoid commercial lotions and creams, and stick with pure oils like olive or shea butter if absolutely needed. Get rid of anything that says "baby wash" or johnson and johnsons. No powders. No wipes. All irritants. Cloth wipes and plain water are more than sufficient. Wash the baby clothes in plain water...if it suds the clothes have an detergent build up and that can be a major irritant. Wash like that until the clothes wash clear, then switch to a gentle detergent with no dyes or perfumes (earth friendly) and use a very very scant amount to get the clothes clean --not the recommended amount. Start with 1-2 tbsp. No fabric softener (white vinegar makes a fine fabric softener and prevents static cling) no dryer sheets. I would also avoid dairy products and actually delay/stop solids if she's started.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• She needs to find what is CAUSING the itching. That is huge. He is probably allergic to something. My DD is and has eczema. We use California Baby Super Sensitive Baby wash and California Baby Calendula cream. Be careful with cetaphil. It contains nuts. Is she breast feeding or formula feeding?
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• CONT... At least until I got the rash under control just in case an unknown food allergy is exacerbating the problem and up the breastmilk/formula to compensate. That could be a reason why he doesn't want to eat also. Babies tend to have an instinct about allergy triggers in food.

I also would also change diapers especially if he suffers from diaper rash. I assume she uses disposables...the chemicals in them can cause contact dermatitis and the perfumes don't help. Either suggest a perfume free less chemical filled disposable or suggest pre-fold cloth diapers (cheap and easy to use and launder).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Take1 tablespoon flaxseed oil daily (Ask the pediatrician for safety in such a young child though.)

You can coat him with petroleum jelly or even Crisco (the solid white stuff in a can) then cover with long sleeves and pants for lower body. I don't know that I would use the Crisco on his face though. Apply two or three times a day. Yes I do realize Crisco is not easy or practical. Then again neither is eczema. If she tries it give it a week or so. Plain white dove as opposed to soap or like other cetaphil.
    Anonymous

• Sun, epsom salt, witch hazel (not sure under 1 year though), changes in diet (moms if nursing dairy is often a trigger), switch to a powder detergent with no perfumes or dyes, check all other soaps used on the baby for perfumes and dyes anything to get less chemicals around him, cloth diapers. My daughter had it and still has a few issues, but her main trigger is dairy.
    Anonymous

• i still havent found the trigger for my son's. im nursing, tried cutting out dairy, wasnt it. a lot of these suggestions are great. sadly, i live in a really windy city. i use melaleuca products and prescription str cortisone cream. and lots of lotion.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 2:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010