whats the best method for potty training

ok my son is 23 months old and like he wants to go potty when mommy or daddy goes but he won't actually GO! whats the best way to get him to go potty, this is my first child, so im kinda lost on how to potty train.

mommyoftwo0809

Asked by mommyoftwo0809 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• here's what we did. We picked a time each day to put him on the potty. We used right before bath time as it was highly likely he woudl have to go (i.e. after dinner). If he gave us a hard time, we just tried again the next night. When we got to the point where he would readily sit and usually successfully pee, we moved on to potty training. Since the weather is nice, we spent two days mostly playing out in the backyard in just a shirt with the potty right near by. I put him on every 45 minutes or so. I fhe peed, we made a big deal. If he didn't, we tried again in 10 or 15 minutes. Then kept trying every 10 until he either peed or had an accident. Then we just restarted the process. In the house, we set a timer so we wouldn't forget to put him on. After 2 days, we went to underwear and did the same thing. As he got the idea, we increased the time between potty checks.. We also stayed home a few days to focus on it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• wait until they show an interest in the potty and you will figure the rest out as you go, we tried way too early with our son and it was hard on everyone. our daughter started asking about the potty saying she wants to do it, she is doing ok with it too, if i just would get to it already!! good luck!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 7:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You may want to take a look at this: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training

My first daughter we followed this method (and we got all our advice from it from this journal and from Potty Training Moms Group on CM). She was 19 months and it was hard at first (took a little longer than 3 days) but we stuck with it and by day 7-8 she was golden. She had shown practically no signs before we started, except maybe hiding to poop. And she talked about the potty a lot. I think this could work for you.

The problem you have right now doesn't sound so much like he *won't* go as he doesn't know how... this method teaches them very quickly the connection between the sensations and where the pee/poop is supposed to go. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010