How can I stop being such a horrible mom?

I am all turned around. I can't get to sleep at night at a reasonable hour, I'm up until 3am, 4am, 5am. I just can't get to sleep. In turn, I am dragging ass when my 4 y/0 wakes up. I will get up and go sit on the couch and fall asleep and let him just sit there and play in the living room or watch cartoons. Sometimes I just stay in bed and tell him to turn the TV on in my room and tell him to sit in there until I get up. I even let him have a brownie and milk for breakfast this morning because i was too tired to argue with him. I feel horrible, but I can't seem to get out of this! Please don't bash me, this is a serious question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he likes cereal, get him a small table either in your room or the living room and put a zip lock bag of cereal in a bowl on that table, in the fridge put a cup of milk in a container with a top and tell him that is for his cereal. Also have a sippy(if he still uses one) or a regular cup of juice. Have him sit and eat and watch some TV. You're pregnant but if you can do that it would be great. Try drinking some tea, and a warm bath and lay in bed with the lights dimmed and and maybe some soft music and some lavender scents. Don't forget to have the right temp in your room. If that does not work call your OB. Good luck!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• im pregnant too and im the same way i cannot fall asleep early and when my son gets up im so tired all day long and he wont take naps so i just keep going i know its hard, usually when dh gets home i ask him to watch our son so i can take a nap maybe u can try that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• oh and we are not bad moms just tired and pregnant ones lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• wel try to spend more time with him.. and and not put him infront of tv soo much.. and put him to bed early.. so when he does take advantage of it and get some sleep
    bestmomtobeever

Answer by bestmomtobeever at 7:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I would discuss with your doctor on possibly getting a prescription sleeping pill, like Lunesta.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Sounds like you're probably depressed. Depression happens when you get stuck into a rut when nothing is changing. Talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely see your doctor ASAP. It could be many things, depression, a sleep disorder, etc. Even if its just a slump it seems like you need helping pulling yourself out of it. Please, please, go to your doctor. It is not safe for your DS to be on his own like that. That mentally, emotionally or physically. GL
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Start going to bed at a reasonable hour-no later than midnight.

Plan quick (but healthy) breakfasts-peanut butter on whole wheat toast, banana and milk, for example.

Try to get out of the house when you're feeling tired. The fresh air will pep you up.

Good luck. You're not a bad mom, you're just a tired mom!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• OP here. I do spend time with him and am very active with him, it is just during the first couple hours of the morning. He goes to bed at 8:30 every night, so it's not like he is the reason I am staying up late and not getting any sleep. I just can't sleep. And I don't think I can be on any sleeping pills because I'm pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Op, you should of said you were preggo! lol, your not a bad mom! Your pregnant and you have a 4 yr old. Your exhausted! Maybe you and your son whould have a joint nap time mid day, that may help you. I would still definitely talk to your doc maybe there is some pregnancy safe sleeping supplements you can take?? GL
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010