Do you ever open food for your kids before paying for it at the grocery store?

Is this legal as long as you pay for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes I have and YES it is OKAY to do. I have had STORE EMPLOYEES tell me it is okay to do. Honestly, as long as you PAY FOR IT at check out, what would the harm even be???

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• They're watching u on a zillion cameras so as long as you intend on paying for it, I am in the belief it's very, very legal.

About 50% of the time we go shopping on a whim and I forget snacks for my kids. I then grab a bottle of water and a few string cheeses. The wrappers are the 1st things I have them scan so that I can toss them right into the cashiers trash basket
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i dont but dh does. i dont like to even if i know i'm going to pay for it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• PS .... I believe that sampling grapes and candy is stealing and I teach my kids that. I also think it's sort of cheesy/tacky to open like a bag of chips or a box of cookies or something. I don't think loading your kids up with sugar is going to get them to sit quietly so u can shop..... quite the opposite
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I do as long as I'm paying for it, keeps DS busy when he is hungry
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We don't ever do that. I'm not sure if it is legal or not, but I just think it is bad manners or something. It's not going to kill my child to wait to eat something until we get home.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 7:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No, it's not legal in my opinion nor ethical. What if I can't pay? I get my kids the free samples (esp the cookies) though.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No I don't do that. We feed the kids before going to the store.
    Anonymous

• No we dont. my kids can wait until we get to the car or our house. ive had to many issues with my bank card to feel comfortable opening anything til its paid for.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I haven't, but I see nothing wrong with it. If you ARE going to pay for it, and it's not an every time thing, why not? I'm also referring to really young kids, not ones who are old enough to understand that they need to wait. I'm pretty sure that it's not illegal unless you leave the store without paying. Legally, you can shove something in your pocket and walk around with it, and then pay for it...they can't do anything unless you actually leave the store.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010