Moving... need advice...

My husband, 2yr old daughter and I are moving from VA to Maine... I have been staying home with her since she was born (I had a very part time when she was 6 mos old, but other than that I have been home)... Anyway, the last year I have been home with her all the time. So now we are moving (financial reason), and I may have to work... So not only will we be in a different place, but I won't be home with her all the time anymore. Any advice on how to transition her easily? I am trying as hard as I can to keep our routine going, and to keep doing the special activities we always do...

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 8:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Transition her for the move or work?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• um. both.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I can at least speak to the moving part, because we've done that a lot. Having your routine absolutely established and working like clockwork before you move is key. Kids need stability and a lot of things can be going haywire, but if they have those concrete expectations they can cling to, they can do remarkably well adapting to the other stuff. The very best thing you could do, and I don't know how possible this is with an out-of-state move, is to get her out of the way... that means out of the house before you even touch her room and the things most dear to her. Don't take anything off the walls in her room, don't pack her toys, until the last minute. Then, if possible, don't show her her new room in the new house until it is put together. Even if you don't do a thing to the rest of the house, you can make her room a little familiar safe-haven. If there's a family member who could take her for 24 hours, you can do this
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• (sorry, I got cut off...). We made a rookie mistake once of thinking it would be fun to take our daughter back through her "old" house after we cleaned it and before we turned in the keys. She was only 14 months old, and we thought she'd like running around in empty rooms. She ran to where her high chair was supposed to be, "Eat!!" and burst into tears. She will understand very quickly that home is where you are...

You won't start working the very second you move, will you? Kids are pretty resilient... You may go through some rough periods, but she won't be ruined! Good luck to you all..
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I definitely agree with EmilySusan, absolutely unpack her room as soon as you arrive, preferably without her in the are with you.. We moved about 6 months ago- my daughter was 16 months- and we did have a few rough nights the first week. I think it helped a lot that the first thing I did when everything was unloaded was to unpack and decorate her room so that she had all of her lovies and a sense of familiarity the very first night. She was still a bit uneasy for about 3 days, but it doesn't take long to adjust :) Good luck with your move!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Thanks guys... :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010