Getting my 1 year-old a new car seat...

My poor Tiernan's feet are hanging almost 4 inches out of his infant carseat (he's long for his age: 90th percentile) and we've been looking for one of those car seats with the bar that comes down over the head and sits at about belly-height. Did companies just stop producing them, or what?

dazzychica

Asked by dazzychica at 8:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think those are made anymore. They aren't really safe because your child could hit the bar during a crash and the force can be great enough to cause some pretty severe internal problems. I am a certified car seat technician (like you would meet at the fire department). Are you planning on turning him forward facing? I would like to suggest you hold off on that for awhile, rear facing is 5 times safer and the AAP now reccomends children rear face until they are two.What is your budget? Maybe I could suggest something that would be suitable for you.
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• @mommyofjames512: Thanks! I was wondering about that, too. It makes so much sense that they aren't made anymore, but the idea of just those little straps holding him there kinda worries me. I'm only slightly paranoid. I've considered keeping him rear-facing, too. We already know the carseat to buy, though, since it's pretty obvious those bars aren't made anymore. Thanks again!
    dazzychica

Answer by dazzychica at 9:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• They are only 3 point harnesses and are illegal in most states so yes the manufacturers stopped making them as far as I know.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• those carseats havent been produced in years. i recommend the my ride 65. am an owner of 2, both my kids are still rear facing ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I second the My Ride!
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2010