how long do you normally lactate?

my son will be two in august i havent breastfeed since my son was about maybe 6-9 months. but yet im still lactating is that normal?

greenegurls

Asked by greenegurls at 8:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• Usually it is a supply and demand thing. So I think I would ask my health care professional about this. Or a la lache specialist.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• With my first I lactated for almost 3 years.... Well it was random drops of milk nothing huge or squirting. It never soaked a bra or anything, it's more like if you were to squeeze my breast a drop of milk would come out.

I had my little girl 6 months ago and so far it's the same thing. I hope it drys up for good soon.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed all three of my girls and never dried up in between. I stopped breastfeeding my youngest over a year ago and could still breastfeed tommorrow if I had to. I have a friend who is 45 and hasn't breastfed for over 15 years and she still has milk. I don't want this to discourage you, I just wanted you to know that you may never dry up so I wouldn't fret too much about it. I just think to myself that if I'm ever stuck on a desserted island with my girls that they wouldn't go thirsty! (Hopefully I could at least make you laugh about it!) Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• If you can still hand express some that is normal, leaking is not though. My LO just stopped about a month ago at 35 months old and I can still hand express a little, but not much.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010