What does/did your 9 month old eat?

My DD is 9 mo. old and breastfeeds for the most part. She doesn't want to eat baby food unless its fruits out of a bottle. Seriously won't take it from a spoon just spits it out. What is the difference?!?! But if its real food like mashed potatoes, cream corn, oatmeal, or apple sauce or anything else like that she will eat from a spoon. She also eats a lot of finger foods. She is probably 80% breastfed. That is what she wants. I had someone tell me its because I'm lazy and don't want to sit down and feed her. I would LOVE for her to eat more of other things so she would be fuller longer and I could have more time for my 3 yr old. Plus she won't sleep through the night yet! My first slept through the night at 4 months! I'm not saying I want her to quit BF all together. I am just saying I want her to BF less and eat more real food. Anyone else have this problem?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 9:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• foods, before one year, are for exploring. they do not NEED it if they are breastfed. my daughter didn't get ANY jarred food... she did fnger foods... and we started them at around 10 months.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• At that age my son ate whatever we were eating. Refused baby food. Give here anything soft except honey, peanuts, and straight milk :) And putting baby food in the bottle should not be done. It can cause obesity, and is a choking hazard. If she will not eat it from a spoon or feed it to herself with fingers she should not eat it. And until she hits one, its breastmilk before food. Its what they need :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• By nine months, my son ate whatever I ate. He also ate 32+ ounces of formula a day. He ate TONS of real food. He could eat a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a whole baked sweet potato for lunch. By 9.5 months, he could eat a kids burger, holding and taking bites. LOL

I would nit feed a child like this now, I would try to not even worry about food until at least one. And I would be BF too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree with carsonsmommytam and gracefulsky She doesn't need to eat a lot. Food before 1 is for fun. The major nutrition should come from breastmilk because they just can't digest solids very well. So she won't necessarily stay fuller for longer. It's not related to night waking.

My 8 1/2 month old has sampled everything fruit and veggie you can think of (asparagus, cauliflower, mango, kiwi...etc etc). She begs for samples, she stops when she's had enough. Her nursing hasn't slowed down at all. I don't give baby food, I've tasted it. Blech. Jar food tastes horrible. It's GOOD that you let her feed herself!

YOu aren't necessarily going to have more time with your 3 year old if you sit down to feed her. Do you wear her so you can play with your 3 year old or take them both out and let the 3 year old run around while you wear the 9 month old?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My daughter would do the same thing. When they are ready they will go for it. People are a@@es for calling you lazy. Believe me all of the sudden my daughter went crazy eating solids.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• solid food! cheerios, gerber snacks, like crunchers, cerael bars, noodles, pasta pick-ups, fine cut meat, anything that she does not choke on! You cut out formula at 1 year! They need to be on a solid diet! Plus you are supposed to start jar food around 4-5 months!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Jo-Lee the current research says no solids until at least 6 months. A breastfed baby can even go a year. That's because babies do no have the gut maturity to digest solids. It comes out the same as it went in--especially grains and meat. Not to mention all the stuff you mentioned is processd or full of sugar or a csrbohydrate with no nutritional value. Where's the fiber even?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010