I think her parents are ruining her....

So my little niece (husband's sister's child) is staying with us for a few weeks. I already knew she was a picky eater and that was some of my reservations with keeping her. This kid only wants noodles, mashed potatoes or rice...anything starchy. And wants to snack and eat candy all day. Now her parents let her do this. My daughter is the same age and will eat anything. Tonight we had burgers, she did not want that she wanted noodles. So I had to cook anyway. I think she is headed for a weight problem with her eating habits she is already portly and she is only 4. I just think her parents need to nip this in the bud now. I see diabetes in her future. Maybe I am over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would leave it alone, you cant raise other people's kids, as much as you may want to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree with you but...theres not much you can do about it.
    Anonymous

• Agree with jennifer. My parents let us eat whatever we wanted to. I ate ramen noodles, ding dongs for breakfast you name it and I Have never been overweight my entire life! I currently weigh 104 lbs and I'm almost 30!!! I guess I'm a freak of nature:( I am continually amazed when I think about what crap we ate and I have zero health issues.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• is it just your niece that is staying with you? if so, while she's theere, you should treat her like your own... if she has to follow the rules like your daughter does, and her parents gave you that right by handing her over, then she should have to eat the same thing as everyone else. i don't care who is in my home, if they're eating at my house, they will eat what i make. i will not cook something else for anyone (except when allergies are involved.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Offer what is ok in your home; give her healthy options. Snacking all day is not a bad thing as long as it is healthy! Though my children started getting picky around 3.5.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Well you are the adult in your home. You don't need to fuss or overreact. Just serve dinner and she can either eat it or not.
    In our house, we eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner, rarely snacks anymore, but when the kids were younger, they did have healthy snacks in between (2 snack breaks a day).

I let my kids choose breakfast foods that are easy (cereal, sandwich, oats, coco wheats), sometmes they choose lunch sometimes I do, but I always do dinner my way, and set the plate before them, you know. I'd try to be more "fun" since your niece is not aware of like how much fun eating broccoli can be. Maybe offer dipping sauces and cheese on top.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• if she's not in your house, she's not your problem... but since she IS in your house- she isnt gonna starve herself. she eats as a family, dinner served FOR the family. if she doesnt want to eat it- fine but she has to sit at the dinner table for at least 15 minutes (depending on how long your dinners usually last) and she is not able to eat anything afterward, until she eats the dinner at least.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I don't think it would hurt if you offer her a taste of a new food she may never have eaten before. The worst she could do is spit it out if she really doesn't like it. You can still offer her foods she is more accustom to eating; but you will be expanding her diet and helping her try something new as well. Children learn by tasting and acquire new tastes in the process. My children didn't like certain foods mixed together when they were that age.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010