Can I be fired over a doctor's note excusing me from working too much overtime?

I'm 5 months pregnant and I haven't gained any weight. I'm still losing weight, and I'm not getting sick as much as I was in the beginning. The doctor is beginning to think it is due to stress from work, especially since my job has me working ridiculous hours, multiple shifts, and 3-4 shifts of over time in a 2 week pay period. The doctor wants to give me a note saying I am only allowed to work a set shift and only 8 hours of overtime at maximum in a pay period. Can I get fired over this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No you cannot, and if they try... Go see a lawyer immediately.

How horrible of them.

Oh and overtime is not even required, work as it is.
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• I was told I could either quit or be fired the next time I was out. I had weekly appointments due to problems with the pregnancy. With the doctors notes in their hands they told me if I was out that day I was terminated!
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness! I am sooo sorry to hear that you have to go through this while pregnant. I would try to go to HR, union leaders if there is one, and a lawyer to see what you can do. What do you do if I may ask? Where there issues before you got pregnant? How long have you been working there?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• If they say that you are fired due to your pregnancy...that is ILLEGAL. Contact the EEOC and file a complaint. If you live in an at will state, then you can be fired for NO reason and it is perfectly legal. IF your employer requires mandatory overtime and you refuse to work it, you could be fired. I would talk to EEOC about the entire situation and see what they have to say. Go to www.eeoc.com and look for your state and then the local agency number to call.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• "can" you get fired....yes....is it right? no, of course not. You got very good advice here about finding a lawyer, not what you want to do/ have time or resources to do.....but please, do what your doc says and try not to worry about your job. I know that sounds ludicrous when you are expecting and need the money, but there are other resources out there.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Unless you work at a union job, your employment is "at will". This means that you can be fired for any reason, at any time. It blows, but that's how it is.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• SOunds pretty safe to give to your employer. You can be fired for any reason they want, I guess, but you could fight it with the doctor's recommendation. You could also offer to train someone else to do your jobs (for maternity leave, or not working so much overtime anymore) and offer to perhaps work from home on call if need be.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• if they fired you, you could take them to court for wrongful termination. if you are willing to do that, make sure you let them know, and if they still have the balls to do it, they are just opening themselves up for a lot of trouble.

legally you can not be fired especialy if you have doctors notes. they will probably come up w some bs reason as to why they are firing you if they try to. make sure you have documentation of everytime you have been out w notes and such.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010