What should I expect as a 16 year old who is pregnant?

LisaIsExpecting

Asked by LisaIsExpecting at 9:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should expect what any other pregnant person should expect. You will have a baby (I am praying you are not going to abort). You may get morning sickness, you will get bigger, you will go to the doctor's more times than you have in your whole life. Hopefully you will choose to take good care of you and your growing baby. You will get nasty looks and comments, but you will learn how to ignore them or kill them with kindness. When your baby is born if you choose to parent it will be hard, but no matter what you will love your baby. I feel a child is a blessing no matter what age you may be when you have one. I know some teen moms who do better than some older more experienced moms. Do not let anyone make you feel bad about keeping the baby. It's your baby... I was a teen mom 2xs 16 and 19. My children are wonderful and I raised them! No one was going to force me into anything I did not want to do.message me if u wan
    LysNVantesMom

Answer by LysNVantesMom at 9:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• people never get use to the age of the baby being so close to yours.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You should expect sleepless nights, sick baby, a LOT of responsibility. A LOT of bashing because you are a pregnant teenager. I won't because I know many teens that make better parents than people my age (in their late 30's). My advice, STAY IN SCHOOL...finish high school and get a college degree so YOU can support your baby without assistance. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Expect that your life is not yours anymore. Everything now revolves around someone else and you must think of that child with every decision you make. It is a huge responsibility. I always say it's the most thankless and rewarding jobs in the world. It isn't when you feel like doing it, it's 24/7. You're a mother when you're sick, when you're tired, when you're sad, when you're happy.

Just make sure you are ready to commit 100% of your life to this child. It will take everything you have and more!
    Anonymous

• my advice is to take responsibility, but dont be afraid to ask for help. my mom was my best friend.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Same thing every other pregnant woman can expect, morning sickness, belly grows until you think it might pop, weight gain, swollen feet, back pain. Do all that you can do before the baby gets here like get your GED bc you'll never get enough time or sleep to study for a while. Find a baby registry list online to see what all you need. If you can find the book What to Expect While Expecting that will help teach you a lot and how to eat and exercise. It may be at your local library. Find a support group. Take parenting classes. You will be fine. My dd was younger than you and she did a good job with family guidance. If you don't have family then we'll help you here at CM. You can do this.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I was 19 when I got pregnant with my son. You will get some rude looks and probably comments from people, but don't let it bother you. I know a lot of people who had their kids at 15 or 16 and are better parents now than most people honestly. You will get some of the same physical symptoms other pregnant women get. Fatigue (sometimes extreme), morning sickness, various aches and pains when the baby gets bigger and moves, gas at times, frequent urination, swollen legs and feet, the basic stuff like that. Also keep in mind like previous posts said, you need to try to get your GED now, and that way you can focus on the baby when it's born, bond with it, and then as soon as you can, you can start college courses. Don't let having a baby make you give up on school. It should be even more an incentive to make more of yourself. Just remember, its not your life now, its the baby's life.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had my first at 19... So I was officially an adult but docs and such still treated me as if I were a teen. I guess technically I was nine-teen....

Get used to the fact that not everyone is going to be as accepting of your pregnancy as you may want them to be.

Get used to loosing faulty friends ( I take that as a perk though. Who needs them anyway right? )

Get used to little to no sleep towards the end of your pregnancy... ( I also take that as a perk since it helps prepare you for the sleepless nights with an infant)

DO EVERYTHING you can to focus soley on school right now! I'm sure you hear the economy is bad now right? WELL there are people competing for jobs at fast food places in some states. So if you don't have a diploma you're screwed. Not to be blunt but it's got to be the most important thing right now. Do your GED to get a lump sum of some credits. Then reg. school as needed. do it before babys born.
    Anonymous

• people that you think are your best friends now will no longer be your best friends once your baby is born likely.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• have u watched 16 & pregnant? I think its a good show to watch.. It is not easy being a mom, it must be even harder to be a teen mom, because "life is over as you know it" once the baby is here you will be home alot more (read all the time) .. prepare for alot of friends to change, only the best will stick around...Stay in school, start thinking about childcare NOW -- does your school have something to offer (alot offer free daycare u may not know about) or is there a family member able to keep the child for you. While your still pregnant do all you can to get good grades..
    My MIL had my DH at 16. She went to school, got a job, was a single mom most her life & she turned out great, my hubby turned out great. She was a great mom.. U can do it too!
    Anonymous