My daughter will be 1 in a week and I cannot get her to drink out of a sippy cup. She is obsessed with her bottle no matter what kind of juice milk or water I put into the sippy. She also will not go to sleep without her bottle. ????

amywill

Asked by amywill at 10:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• JUST THROW AWAY THE BOTTLE! not in house you can't use
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• it is pretty frustrating, but she will let you know when she is ready. some kids just hold on to those ties stronger. hell, my son is 19 months and he still likes going to bed with a sippy cup. I don't like him drinking juice at night so it's just water with a splash of juice for flavor. The best way I could think to get her to drink out of a sippy is to make it as fun as possible. have her pick one out at the store. I know she's young but she will probably indicate which one with what colors she likes. show her you drinking from the cup. be inventive, and most importantly, don't freak if she's not ready. they will ALWAYS tell you when they are ready and who cares if it's not with everyone else.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried straw cups?

For the bedtime bottle thing, here's what worked for us (though for us it was nursing to sleep): change around the bedtime ritual ever-so-slightly. If you do bath, a story, then bottle-to-sleep, instead do bath, a story, and then go downstairs (or to the living room -- out of the bedroom) for the bottle. Leave the lights low, but not off. Don't let baby fall asleep. Then go back upstairs, brush/wipe teeth quickly, keep lights in bedroom off or very dim, and rock/sing for a little while before bed. Once that is working, do the milk before the book. Go straight from story time into lights out/singing time. If baby is demanding a bottle, remind him he already had his bedtime milk. Sing your song and soothe to sleep. Stage 3: have the last milk before you even do the bath. Bath - pjs - brush teeth - story time -lights out, singing. We did this with both kids and it was like they didn't notice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I wanted to add, too: I think you won't be able to do away with the bottle completely until you have broken him of the bottle-to-fall-asleep part. Once he's not associating it directly with his cozy sleep routine, he may be more willing to change the receptacle.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We never did the sippy thing...she wouldn't take one. Instead we used the silicone straw cups. As for the bottle, you need to break him of the night bottle...it's probably for comfort anyway at this point.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son went to a straw cup. I tried a couple different sippy cups but he never really got it. When we gave him a straw cup at 12 months, he took right to it. He always stopped taking a bottle at night at that time. He broke himself of that habit.
    Anonymous

• I am just mean I would just take the bottle away cold turkey. That's what I had to do with my kids and they were breast fed. I weaned my oldest at 13 months. My 3rd was the hardest. He didn't wean til 20 months. Can't throw that out lol. As for sippy I always liked the kind with the rubber tips. I have also always introduced the sippy cups early. As soon as they can hold on to things.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i would just take the bottle away too. cold turkey
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i understand the bottle thing! my son was attached to it as well! He NEEDED it before bedtime. it was his thing to drink his bottle before going to sleep, not sleeping with it. I didnt allow that for fear of ear infection. BUT i let him have his bottle until he eventually weaned off it himself! He just stopped wanting it and even if i offered it he would not really drink it anymore. He got tired of it and finally dropped it completely just after he turned 2. But everyone else will tell u to take it away. U can do either way. I just chose to let him have it as it was a way that helped him go to sleep. My daughter pretty much didnt like the bottle and she didnt need it either. She started letting go of the nite bottle herself early on around 1 yr old. So she dropped the bottle just after she turned 1. Every kid is different. But i certainly would not have let my son reach 3 and with a bottle. But they weaned themselves off it.
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I dont think drinking a bottle over 1 yr old is THAT big of a deal! Unless the kid is over 3 or something, then thats just not necessary...especially if the kid is already potty trained and can talk with a bottle in his mouth. Otherwise, not every single kid NEEDS to be off the bottle by their first bday. I think thats ridiculous and some ppl take that WAY too seriously and find room to criticize those who dont follow their regime. U do what u feel is best for ur child. They will wean themselves if u choose that route. And u can wean them with intervention as well. Just let that be YOUR decision and dont let others judge u for it. What is best for them, may not be best for u. I think by this time u should have introduced a sippy cup, but i hear ya if she isnt having it. It took my kids a whiiiiiiiile before they loved sippy cups. My daughter still wont drink milk all that well in it. I make up for it in the foods i give her.
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2010