Starting solids...

I am about to start my son on solids. I'm wondering what his schedule should look like for that. Right now he eats a 7 ounce bottle every 3 hours and sleeps all night, his first bottle usually being at 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give solids after the bottle not before since before 1 yr, they need the nutrients from the milk and their bodies don't process the nutrients in the solids yet. keep in mind that it can take up to 15-20 times for them to like even 1 of the items you give them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Agree with jademom07. Also skip the canned/jarred stuff. It tastes horrible which is why it takes 15-20 times for babies to take it. If you give tasty normal table food (fruits and veggies) there shouldn't be rejection over the taste! Just fork mash or give small peices to gum up/smash. If your baby is at least six months, sits up well, and has lost the tongue thrust reflex it should be a very enjoyable, fun exploration.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• When I started I started very slow. I fed my daughter solids once a day after a bottle, usually in the morning because she was hungry because she had slept through the night. My daughter didnt really start eating solids until 2-3 weeks after inroducing them. Okay, I was told by my Ped that going into solids is a transition and I started at 7 months. Do what feels confortable to you. I still fed formula as primary source of nutrition, the solids were a bonus. Good Luck.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010