When daddy's talk to daughters dates..... or asking for hand in marriage

Exactly what goes on when dads talk to daughter dates alone?
And What exactly is the big talk about when guys ask for daughters hand in marriage?

My dad passed away when I was in 10th grade, and never did the dad-date talks, and obviously not the hand in marraige talk.... But one day I hope my husband will be "THAT FATHER" that puts fears into boys with the shotgun beside his recliner.. lol... But I dont think either one of us know the first thing about those "talks"...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• omg..my dad was just like that country song. He said "come here, let me show you my guns, maybe we can go huntin some time"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i dont think we will ever know. lol it's one of life's mysteries.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Seriously???????I am sure it is what any parent would say regardless of gender. Basic stuff like "take care of my child" and "have my daughter home at ?". Is it really that big of a mystery?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My dad threatened my husband with a fork and told him he'd been in the Army for 20 years and knew how to kill a man and make it look natural. :-) My husband is planning something similar for when Kiwi starts dating.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Kiwi that's bold. I wanted to name a daughter Strawberry Rain once lol as for the question I have no idea. I wasn't that close to my dad and my dh became friends with him after we started dating. My dad died before we decided to get married. I know he would have approved though :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My dad never had some long talk with DH. He introduced himself to him when he picked me up, and said to drive carefully. My parents always liked DH and just trusted me with him right away. When DH proposed he didn't need to ask permission. Hell we already lived together, hehe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2010