At what age should we talk to our kids about sex?

I'd rather have my daughter hear the facts from me. I saw a previous poster say their five year old new what sex was and also looked like?? Wow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• As soon as they begin asking questions related to the subject, which now happens a lot sooner than parents expect!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I will talk to my sons as early as possible, by 5 they absolutely will know everything. it is way better to talk to your kids about it then to let them learn "the facts" from others at school. I posted a very similar post a couple of days ago. you should check out my site to find it. the moms who replied to mine had very similar responses that may help you
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We are talking about it now...she's 3...now she's not getting the 'adult' version but just the basics. When she starts to ask more questions, I answer them openly and only what is needed. Some kids are exposed to it more than others...movies, adult conversation that is not censored, other kids who are raised in an environment where it's not censored. I think by the time they go to school, they really need to know the gist of it or it will be learned from and older child. I learned in kindergarden from my brother's friends since I rode the bus. I wish I would have heard it from my mom since I got a very altered version of what is was.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I personally believe that when they ask you tell, no matter what the age is. Just make sure the details you give aren't too much for the age they are.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We started giving out age-appropriate info from the time our children were babies. Use everyday situations & circumstances as learning opportunities and teach them as they grow. That way there is never a need for "the talk" which just makes everyone embarrassed & awkward.  It should be natural & easy to talk to your children & teach them. It's our responsibility as parents to teach our children, not the schools or anyone else's. If you as a parent do not teach them, someone else will & it may not be the version you approve of, so whatever the age, start teaching.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• OP

Thanks. I do try now. She is 2. The othere day we saw a pregnant friend and I said to her "Look she has a baby in her belly"

Is that what you mean by everyday situations? I'm a first time mom so I am new at this. lol
    Anonymous

• This is a series of conversations, that should start practically at birth, by teaching your child the proper names for body parts and their functions.

Always be on the lookout for teachable moments: a pregnant relative, baby birds, a neighbor with litter of puppies, etc.

Be honest with your child, keep conversations as his/her level.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Although I gave my kids age appropriate information as they grew, and answered any questions they had (again, on their level) they did not know what sex was until we had the "long talk" at 8-9. They go to public school and didn't hear anything about it before then - they didn't have a clue that's what happened! The schools teach it in 5th grade and my goal was to talk them through everything they would hear before they heard it from school.

Answer by missanc at 4:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My kids have had age specific talks.
    Good touch and bad touch talks 4yr old
    the names of our body parts starting at birth with both kids
    Masturbation ( my neice is 5 and she does it and my four year old was asking questions) 4yrs old
    And the baby talk, I am pregnant for the 4th time and megan is asking alot of questions this time around so I answer them as best as I can.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP, there are all sorts of ways to talk to your kids about sex in ways that are age-appropriate.

You can keep it simple for little kids. The other day, my 2-year-old saw two dragon flies "stuck together," so I simply said that they were making baby dragon flies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2010