Do you read parenting books? Do you use the advice?

I have to say that I do read some and use only what I believe to be true. Some books are too much but I have learned a thing or too. lol How about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I read some and took most with a grain of salt since every child and parent relationship is different. However, I did learn a thing or two then I relied on my mommy gut.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My hubby & I have our favorite books we go to again and again!
    Bringing up Boys is a good one if you have sons
    Love Languages of Children
    &
    Making your Children Mind Without Losing Yours
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• thing or two! oops! sorry lol

OP
    Anonymous

• I love the "What to Expect" series and have been reading the books since I was pregnant. I'm currently on the "What to Expect: The Toddlers Years" book, and I literally refer to it everyday. It has a lot of great advice.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I love reading them. You never know what you will find helpful
    "What to expect series" -- Was NOT a fan..
    "Nurture Shock" -- Very good! Wish I owned it so i could highlight good stuff!
    "Between The Lions" -- A good book about teaching kids how to read, will read it again in the future when DD gets older.
    "Einstein Never used Flashcards" --- LOVED IT!!! Wish everyone could read it before their kids are 1...
    "The NDD Book" --- Very good! Every mom who thinks its OK to feed junk daily could read it a few times!
    "Into the Mind of Babes"-- Loved it & have really changed my views about tv, for my kids, myself & my family!!! The more the tv is off the better for everyone! Even when they are "not watching" its still effecting them!
    "Happiest Toddler on the block" --- Not a fan, nothing really new in it at all...
    "Ina Mays guide to child birth" --- Best book ever. Changed my look at pregnancy/birth/labor.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Womanly Art of Breastfeeding--- Amazing book every mom should read before birth if they even have a thought they want to breastfeed.
    And there is 1 other 1 I read that i did not like at all... Oh man, it annoys me i cant remember the name! LOL.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I do not like the "What to Expect" series; some bad advice there. I prefer Dr. Sears.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton http://www.touchpoints.org/ Fantastic for learning about development

Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort http://www.naomialdort.com/ Wonderful book on parenting.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I referred to "What to Expect the First Year" for some things, but I parented mostly on instinct and common sense.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What bad advice does the "What to Expect" books give? I have yet to find any. I know she is firmly against corporal punishment (which is a part of my value system), but I can't find any "bad" advice...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2010