When is bedtime for your babies?

My son is 4 months old, he has been going to bed at 9:30p since he was about 2 months. For the past 3 days he has been cranky and sleepy around 7pm. I have been giving him his bath and putting him to bed around 7:30pm. Is this too early? What is bedtime for your babies, and how old are they? I don't want to make my baby mad/upset if I try to keep him awake... he is sleepy, so I assume I should just let him sleep, even if its so early? What do you all think? Thanks!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 9:30 is too late for a baby's bedtime. My daughter is in bed by 7 p.m. since she was sleeping through the night. She is now 2 and the latest she is in bed is 7:30 p.m. and that is only if she napped during the day. It is 7 p.m. and she likes her bedtime routine. We brush her teeth, wash face and hands, read a book and she has some warm milk. SHe gets a bath in the daytime. I'm surprised your baby's pediatrcian didn't tell you that time was too late? I know many people who's kids are in bed by 7. My daughter sleeps till 7 or 8 the next day too. Babies need their sleep. Stick to a routine because when he starts school you will have no problems.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Mine just went to bed when I did...not real set time at that age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• *pediatrician
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son goes to bed at 7 and has since about 2 months. He is 3 months now. He actually starts getting fussy around 6, but I do my best to keep him up till 7. Some babies just need earlier bedtimes. If he is fussy then his little body needs the sleep. Plus he may be going thru a growth spurt- the actual growing happens in their sleep.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Oh, there is no set bedtime. Babies need a lot of rest, they are growing pretty fast. :) If thats what your baby needs, thats okay. 7pm is not too early. Sometimes my daughter goes to bed at 630 if we had a big day out, or might be awake til 9 it just depends on her. As long as he is getting enough rest Im sure he will be fine. I dont think 930 is that bad for a baby, but I might start getting it earlier because it gets harder as they get older to establish a routine.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son has gone to bed at 9 since birth i swear. lol. Hes 11 months and is in bed at 9 like clockwork.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• all of my children do to bed at 7! No reason for them to be up later!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As your baby starts getting on a regular schedule, you'll know what's best for him.
    You should not try to keep a baby that age awake because once you go past the 'window of opportunity' for bedtime, they will be overtired and it's very hard to get them to sleep.

My 16 mos old is in bed at 7pm. My other kids are older (7, 5, and 4) and they go to bed at 7:30pm.

When mine were babies, I just kept putting them to bed earlier and earlier (working back from 11pm) until they finally went to bed at 7 and slept till about 6 or 7am. If your son is tired at 7, put him to bed. You'll probably find that his schedule might still fluctuate, but definitely don't hold him out.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 6:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2010