Bedtime With an Infant

What time does your little one generally go to bed? Do you have a nightly bedtime ritual? My little girl is almost five months old and doesn't go to bed until atleast midnight. If I am lucky. And when she finally does I have to be right next to her or she wakes up. In the fall my school semester will start again and I really need her to be in her bed at a decent time so I can do my homework. Suggestions?

Aubreys_Mom_10

Asked by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got my son on a schedule at 5 weeks, he is 8 weeks now. he usually sleeps 6-9 hours strait, so I know what im doing is working.
    what i do every is keep him up from 6pm-8:30pm, then i give him a half hour bath, followed by a full bottle. he sleeps like a dream, all my friends are jealous!!1
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I didnt put my daughter on a schedule per say, but I would keep her up later, and tweak our day alittle until it was alittle easier. My daughter normally goes to bed around 8pm, and gets up at 730am and up once at night to feed. I would say to try to tire your child out in the afternoon, and wake up early, a little at a time, nothing crazy, and start adjusting. My daughter has a pretty regular schedule, but it is not perfect. But it differs everyday by 30 mins to an hour either way. Wish you the best.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We don't do schedules 10 - 10:30 sometimes 11 now 8 1/2 months. At 5 months it was 8 or 9:30. If I want to get work down, I wear my baby in a wrap or mei tai. She often falls alseep on my back. Baby happy, mommy has hands free. It's a win win.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• my son's almost 9 months old.. his bedtime is 9pm on the dot.. but he don't follow it lol.. he knows when it's bedtime because i'll carry him to the crib then he'll scream his head off lol, rocking him helps a bit.. but he's usually out by 10 pm until 7 am then he's awake
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• my 19 month old....bathtime, brush teeth time, book time, then bedtime at 9. every night and it's great. my one month old, same schedule but we try to get him to bed by 7. doesn't always work, but he does at least go down before 9 and then sleeps about 3-4 hours.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I think my LO is odd. She HAD to nurse for like an hour or so to go to sleep. She cluster fees then sleeps. Normal?
    Aubreys_Mom_10

Answer by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• She's not odd. Some nights my baby nurses for 60 seconds and is out, other nights 10-30 minutes, other nights an hour. it's just like adults. Some nights we are out before we hit the bed and others we toss and turn for an hour.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• start a bedtime routine at the same time every night. ours is a bath, snuggle time, nurse and she's out by 7 every night. and cluster feeding is totally normal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As a mother of 4 I can tell you that it depends on the child. Some will get on a schedule right away (and then change it a few weeks later) and some take most of the first year to get on one. I know all of my children were on a schedule by the time they were a year, usually before. Teething, illness, growth spurts can interrupt their normal schedules and it might seem like you're starting over. With an infant it is best to be flexible.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Some kids will make their own schedule, others need a little help establishing one. I have 4, soon to be 5, kids and all were on a schedule by 2 months old, sleeping from around 10pm-7am. Start a bedtime routine - bath, lotion, pajamas, nursing, storytime, then songs - or whatever is comfortable for you. Push back her midnight bedtime by 15 minutes or so each night until she's falling asleep at what you think is a reasonable time (you didn't mention whether she was sleeping through the night or not?). If you can keep her on at least a flexible schedule during the day, then having a "schedule" at night won't seem so odd to her - she will know what to expect and most children thrive on predictability and routine.

Answer by missanc at 10:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010