Do You Agree w/ Parental Consent Laws? At what age?

13-year-old girl performed a self-induced abortion using a pencil. During the process the girl became horribly sick, began having contractions, and ultimately delivered the baby at home.

While at the hospital the girl admitted to conducting a "home abortion" on herself.

Pennsylvania is a parental consent state, meaning that this girl had no real legal access to abortion. So what happened? Did she take the advice of anti-choice activists and embrace this "gift"? No. She tried to abort the baby with a pencil and nearly killed herself in the process. Because that's what happens when desperation sets in.

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-rights/blog/13-year-old-performs-abortion-at-home-time-to-rethink-parental-notification-laws/

I do care about the crime that's been committed and have plenty of opinions about the 'father' in this story; that's not what I am asking about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I re-read the article. No where in it did it say the girl told her parents about the pregnancy. For all we know, her parents would have gladly taken the girl to the abortion clinic themselves. The person the girl was protecting was not herself, but the 30 yr old sexual predator who impregnated her. I'm sure he did not encourage her to tell her parents and request an abortion.

As sad as what happened to this poor girl, her eventual hospital visit uncovered the relationship with the pedophile and be was arrested. If she had been able to get an abortion on her own, no one would have known, and the pedophile could continue his sick behavior without getting caught.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• this is a huge reason i'm not against abortion. young girls will do it if they want to, atleast give them a safe way to do it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• parental consent, blechh.

Her parents should be brought up on charges, IMO.I personally believe that (other than rape/incest, etc etc) the girl should recover from her injuries at Grandmas or a foster home under closer supervision to ensure unprotected sex and self surgeries will no longer occur.... 13 is a child, likely still playing with barbies when no one is watching. ... She shouldn't never needed access to an abortion as she should never have become pregnant. How is a child allowed to be so alone and so frightened she has to have sex and then stick a pencil up herself? Her loneliness is the real loss and real tragedy here.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• That is a HUGE reason I am not against abortion. If it were illegal, more women will be doing them with coat hangers as they have done so in the past. So sad though.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yes I still agree with the parental consent laws. A teacher at school can't even give an asprin without written consent of a doctor. Why should a child be able to get a surgical procedure without consent. I think there is much more going on in this case. Where the hell are her parents anyway that a 13 year old is having sex? Maybe she belongs in foster care and the parents in jail for neglect.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the law is to blame. Who is to say that if she could have got a legal abortion for free right down the street that she would have went? Maybe at 13 she would have been to scared to ask. Did anyone ever say she wanted an abortion but was turned away? We have safe haven laws for baby's and that doesn't stop some people from throwing a child in a dumpster. I think some people are just too immature or mentally ill to make reasonable choices.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• why should parents get to consent? their judgment is proven to be of a failing nature.

FAILED to provide condoms, plan B, etc
    FAILED to provide adequate supervision of minor child, allowing child opportunity to become naked alone in a room with an old man
    fail fail fail..... then they're supposed to be able to give the green light on an abortion for this child? They had enough chances to make important decisions. Fail fail fail. If the baby had made it to term it should goto an adoptive family. A 13 yr old cannot parent and HER parents are obviously moronic to have allowed her to bang a 30 y/o man for almost a year
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• While it's tragic the girl did something so dangerous, I'm still overall supportive of parental consent laws.
    Anonymous

• Wow, that's really sad, all the way around.

As the mother of a daughter, though, I can't support laws that allow underage girls to recieve medical procedures without parental concent. Or anyone underage, for that matter. I'm not even exactly pro-life, if my daughter really wanted an abortion at 13 I would take her to have one. But I also know that a lot of the times the clinics providing abortion services are not informing their clients fully of all the risks, they are not helping their clients find counciling or grief management services, they are misleading them about the stage of development of their babies. Not all, but it happens enough that I feel it is my RIGHT as a mother to guide my child through such a heartbreaking process. I am legally responsible for my daughter's actions until she is 18. That includes her reproductive choices.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• As a mom with a daughter, I agree with Ati 13.

and I think we can find tragic stories in states with both types of laws.
    Anonymous