Questions about dislocated shoulders

I was in a car accident 3 days ago and the air bag dislocated my shoulder. It was put back in its place and I have a sling/imobilizer and I take vikoden and ibuprofen for the pain. but it still hurts too much when i lay down on my back and i cant sleep. Any suggestions on how to reduce the pain when i sleep? Also, is it normal to have muscle spasms in that arm? And, all of my fingers on that same hand are swollen. i have no idea if its a different injury from the accident or has something to with my shoulder or possibly from the sling. Any ideas? I really appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this.

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 11:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• The muscle spasms are normal. try sleeping in a recliner with a small pillow under your arm (in the sling) if need be. Swelling may be from your accident... but... did they xray your whole arm, down to your hand?? If you are sure there are no other fractures then it maybe from the shoulder. Try sitting in a recliner and getting your arm out of the sling for a bit... straighten your elbow for a while to let some of the fluid return toward your heart & lymphatic system. I'd also suggest getting to Physical Therapy soon... they can help tremendously with pain management!! Hope you feel better ASAP!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• thanks morgain!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2010