Do you have a child who is diagnosed with O.D.D.? Any tips on correcting behavior?

My daughter was diagnosed with Oppositional Defiance Disorder (spelling?)
She is extremely difficult, always defies instructions or directives, will always do the opposite, if I say the sky is blue she says it's pink, will never apologize for her bad behavior, etc. etc. Through her teens, drama has consistently followed her and now she's almost 21 and it seems she'll never grow out of it. Does anyone have any tips or guidance on how to deal with her behavior?

Kimistry99

Asked by Kimistry99 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• haha. they diagnose everybody with that nowadays.
    they said my little sister has that.
    they said i had that when i was younger too.
    its called being young and having an attitude, the answer is that they grow out of it once they mature.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• um... you're kind of beyond disciplining her if shes 21... unless she's still living in your home... but it's not the same as disciplining a child.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 12:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She's an adult now, let her face her own consequences for her actions. Some people only learn the hard way...or not at all.
    We suspect our almost 10yo daughter has ODD. I'm ready to strangle her most days. It's very exhausting and takes away from my other kids (I spend 80% of my time dealing with her and I have 3 other kids and a baby on the way).

And to the first poster...I suggest you come live in my house for a week and see what it's like. My dd has been this way since she was 3 and is not "growing out of it". She gets worse every year...more defiant and sneaky. I'm so tired of tantrums. She's 10 but throws fits like a 2yo and has the attitude of a 16yo. I can't trust her anymore. It's so frustrating.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• "She's an adult now, let her face her own consequences for her actions. Some people only learn the hard way...or not at all."

Agreed - and I have ODD as well. The only insight I can really give you is that if you want her to do something, *definitely* don't tell her to do it; make her think it was her idea. But really, she's going to have to learn to grow up on her own. It's not something that can be forced.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 2:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Personally I think that it is an excuse for why they are so ill behaved! It is not your fault, but she really just needs strong dicipline!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son has O.D.D. it is one of the hardest behavior problems to deal with. Yes, it is real and yes it is just a one of the diagnosis they can give with a behavior issue. Sorry, but when you have more than one child and one sticks out way more than the rest with the type of behavior they express it isn't any longer just an attitude. This is real and it can become dangerous if they do not find out ways to control their mood. Medications rarely help this disorder. My son receives intensive in-home therapy. There are days it help and days it does not. Consistency and not ever giving in to bad behavior is key. Ignore as much as possible the bad behavior and make a big deal out of anything good that she does. It is a long road, but one we take when we love our kids. Good luck!
    neasey5

Answer by neasey5 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010