It is, of course, taboo to criticize a person’s religious beliefs

The problem, however, is that much of what people believe in the name of religion is intrinsically divisive, unreasonable, and incompatible with genuine morality. The truth is that the only rational basis for morality is a concern for the happiness and suffering of other conscious beings. **This emphasis on the happiness and suffering of others explains why we don’t have moral obligations toward rocks.**

t also explains why (generally speaking) people deserve greater moral concern than animals, and why certain animals concern us more than others. If we show more sensitivity to the experience of chimpanzees than to the experience of crickets, we do so because there is a relationship between the size and complexity of a creature’s brain and its experience of the world.

What are your thoughts on this saying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have had to read it three times to understand it..but I agree, I think??/ In a way - I don't know, I just think each and every one of us has a right to a personal choice of belief, and I don't believe any one has the right to berate me for my belief, even if it runs totally opposite to yours. I believe tolerance, and if not that, then silence, should be embraced by all. If you don't agree with my beliefs, thats fine, but either be without judgement and arguments or be silent. If I am not attacking and ridiculing your beliefs, then you have no right to attack mine. Does that make sense? As for crickets and chimpanzees - never really thought of it in such an indepth manner...interesting statement - it has a lot of sense in it....I feel compassion for rocks too, when they are being busted up.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Why we don’t have moral obligations towards rocks? 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't let what others believe bother me. It's what I believe that matters to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• WHO said that? LINK???? I found it to be a mess of word without much meaning and very pretentious. It doesn't impress me at all.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Blah blah blah I agree with gertie. Need a link to make sense of that copied mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• that is a kinda silly! An animal or human is just as important as another, but according to the bible animals donnot have souls, therefore a human should always be before an animal, and so on. That is why animal sacrifce is more acceptable than human, speaking of other religions that do that and the old testament of course! If you find a Catholics beliefs silly or anyone elses then dont listen and stay away! Food for thought....Would you save your dog over a stranger if both were about to die and you could only save one? Why? Maybe because human value is greater than that of the dog? Even a murderer is more valuablr than a deer!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Do your own homework!
    Anonymous