Illegal to drive with a child under 12 in the front seat?

I thought it was illegal to drive with a child under 12 in the front seat....lately I've seen sooo many children under 12 driving in the passenger seat. There children....def not a small 12 year old...but I thought this was illegal?! Or is it just common sense and common courtesy not to?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 1:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I thought it was illegal here too but it's not. They don't want children under 12 in a seat with airbags because it could be dangerous if they go off. But most cars now have automatic sensors that turn off the airbags if there isn't an adult in the seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I believe the laws are different in every state. Google your state and see what your laws are but ya also most people can turn the air bag off and the child can sit in the front sit the safest spot in a car for a child is in the back sit in the middle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm sure it's a ''cool'' thing for kids to be able to ride in the front with there parents but yes it's dangerous. Maybe some people are taking avantage that it's not illegal. I live in California and alot of stuff here is illegal. They make a law for everything...not that it's a bad thing but I'm just surprised to see this alot more now.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is illegal to have them in the front seat with an air bag in our state and in a lot of trucks you don't have a choice, but all those that have air bags can turn the air bags off (that I have seen any way).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Its illegal here as well. But my 17 yr old looks 12- 13. So looks can be deceiving.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 6:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I thought so too until i looked up the laws in GA. You can have a child above 6 in the front seat here. If they are under 6, they must have a car seat. I would let my child ride in the front seat & people would tell me it's illegal until i asked a police officer & he said no, which led me to do some research & i found out that it is not illegal at all...at least here in GA it isn't.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It may not be illegal in your state, but it is not safe. Personally, I'd rather have my kids in the back where it is safer regardless of age.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It depends on the state. Here in NC, it isn't IF the airbag is second generation and senses weight turning it off if the child is too light. Otherwise, the child under 12 is to ride in the back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I refuse to put a 12 year old in a car seat like they say, and my 7 year old sits in the front going thru military check points! If it were illegal I would be in trouble! Plus, what kind of junior high kid wants to ride in a car seat? And really? The front seat is fine as long as you have a new safe vehicle, seatbelt, and my van only activates the airbag if you weigh over 95 lbs! Dont judge! If you want to put your 12 yr old in the back with a car seat be my guest just see how much he likes you after that!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Ya know, sometimes it just makes me want to smack some women upside the head that think that their way is the ONLY way. Let you step up to my face anytime and tell me what you think of me...

You would not do it a second time, I guarantee it. If it's illegal in your state, then by all means it's a law. If not, carry on with your own business and don't mind what anyone else does with their child. IT"S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2010