At what age do you feel children should get braces? Or what age do you think they are responsible enough to care for their teeth with braces?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 3:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• 13 is about the typical age to get them, you want to make sure they have gotten their 12 year molars first if you are going with traditional braces. We are going to use invisalign with my oldest he is 12 and they still wont start the work until his molars have completely come in.

The youngest I have ever seen is 11 and that was only because the child had been in a car accident and they were trying to save the tooth. I think at 12 a child is more than able to care for their braces. I wore braces with full headgear for 4 years (age 13-17) The biggest thing is knowing what you can and cant eat and brushing after each meal.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• our pediatric dentist is guessing my daughter will need braces around 8 or so. They do 'em earlier and earlier these days. Cara & Mady Gosselin were also 8/9 when they got braces.

I doubt most kids under 12-ish can can for them properly. I'm sure it'll just be another chore I do every night.

What age *SHOULD* they get 'em? Impossible to answer, all their little mouths are different
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i was 13 but i didnt do what i was suppose to, i took toe nail clippers and pulled stuff out, i thin it depends on the child too, i was pretty rebelious at that age, i do however have straight teeth now so i guess 14 years later it paid off haha!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Consult with an orthodontist.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son had some braces at 12. He will need more work when all his teeth come in. Age is not the issue so much as need for their teeth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son got his first set of braces at age 9 (along w/an expander) and he did fine with them. He got his second set at age 11 and is now, at 15, in his retainers. He doesn't have any cavities and he has taken very good care of his teeth, just as he was taught to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Generally the orthos want to wait until kids have their 12 year molars before doing braces. By that age, they are also old enough to take care of them properly. I got my full braces at 13, but I had some different metal springs and stuff in my mouth before then (my teeth weren't crooked, but misaligned and my mouth too small)

Answer by missanc at 4:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010