child bathing .....

At what age are they supposed to do more than just move a soapy wash cloth around? Like navigate the faucets themselves, regulate temperature safely, use shampoo, rinse it all out, etc?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say around 7! Mine does very well! Always check up though!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i'm assuming you mean at what age can they be responsible enough to bath/wash on their own?

i didn't get to run my own bath until i was 10 but that's because i liked (and still like) super hot baths and to fill the tub right up. when i was a kid we lived on a farm with a dug well so water was limited, as a result my parents got pissed if i filled the tub too much because then we would run out of water and have to wait hours for the well to fill back up.

i let DD who is 3 wash herself and her hair and help me rinse but i still double check and re-wash if necessary. i let her feel the water but i would never let her pick the temperature herself\ at this age. i'd say probably 8 or 9 she can run the bath for herself
    My2KidzMom2009

Answer by My2KidzMom2009 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was giving my DD tubbys at a month old like the real thing she had not much hair until she was like 8-9 months old but I did wash her head with shampoo/bath wash from a month old. She turned two a few weeks ago and she still sits in her little tubby and plays with her toys and I wash her from head to toes. She loves her tubbys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm confused on your quesiton, and I may be wrong, but I think anonymous is as well. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My 6 and 8 year olds can run their own showers, separately. My 4 and 5 year olds can wash themselves and turn off the faucets.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it really depends on the kid. Plus, I think it's a gradual thing, you start with letting them turn on the water to start filling the tub (you watch to see how hot they're making it). Then, you can feel the water as it's coming into the tub, and comment along the lines of "Oh, I think this might be too hot, maybe we shouldn't turn it that high" or "This water feels a little cold, what do you think" or "Good job, I think this bath is going to be just right" - as long as it's not too hot, let them feel it and help adjust the temp if need be.

Let them wash and rinse their hair, with your supervising, and then you can "just check it real fast to make sure all the soap is out" - if it consistently is, then you know they've mastered that.

Just build up to it - it's not like one day you do it all, then the next they're on their own :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• When we lived w/my MIL a few months ago, Kiwi was doing it all herself, right before she turned 5. Then we moved in here, and the knobs are really hard to turn and the shower/faucet thing is broke and it only comes out of the shower thing and has to fill up that way, so I fill the water, then sit back w/a book while she cleans herself. She's been doing her own hair for about 6 months now, and uses her Tinker Bell loofah w/body wash. I taught her to start at the top then work her way down (so as not to get butt dirt on her face, feet dirt on her bottom and so on) and she does good w/it. But, she's always been very independent and has done things on her own for a long time now. My sister was almost 8 before she could wash her own hair, but it was really long. It depends on how the child does, the length of the hair, how much they do other things on their own.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2010