Do you agree with teaching your children about stranger danger?

I have a 3 y/o who naturally understands stranger danger. And there are some people that think something is wrong with my son cause he will freak if a stranger gets up in his face. However I don't agree. But want to hear how people treat this issue with your own children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I taught both of mine not to talk to strangers and I was known to remind them in stores not to talk to strangers. I got plenty of dirty looks but you know it don't bother me. I'd rather my kids be safe and with me still then off lying in a ditch dead after being raped and tortured.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 6:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I kinda don't understand.... why WOULDN'T someone want to teach their kids to avoid strangers, not talk to them, etc?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• They said it's not healthy to make your child scared of the world. These are not important people like family or doctors that say this. -op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You do know that far more children are molested/sexually abused by relatives and aquainences than by strangers? You child is in more danger with his grandfather, uncle, stepfather, cousin or with the pastor, boy scout leader, school guidence counselor, nice old man down the street... than any stranger. Sure, by all means teach your child stranger danger, but also be aware of the dangers closer to home, and teach hi about trusted people touching inappropriately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Ok, in a way, it's not good to teach our kids to be afraid of the world... HOWEVER - it is ENTIRELY ok - and in fact, I think we are obligated - to teach our children that it IS ok for them to set personal boundaries, and that people need to respect them. It's ENTIRELY ok to teach them that while the world is full of wonderful, caring people, there are also bad people out there that want to hurt them, and that they need to be careful, because you can't tell the difference just by looking, or even right away. It's ENTIRELY ok to teach them to trust their instincts, and if they don't want to be around a person, they don't have to be (even if, in this or that case, they have no reason to be afraid of a person - because if we teach them to ignore that little voice, then we set them up for danger and dysfunction in so many ways - stranger danger and in their relationships!).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I didn't teach "stranger Danger", I taught appropriate and inappropriate touch etc. I also taught him that if anyone tried to talk him in to going away from the area he was into their car what he is supposed to do. And that if he was in a store with me and someone grabbed him, he is supposed to knock over shelves and racks while screaming this isn't my mom and biting and gouging out eyes. LOL I never specifically said...No Strangers, I taught scenarios and actions. Because when he was 2, he got lost at a State Fair because he got to the end of the slide, didn't notice us and ran scared to find us. Luckily, two old ladies helped him and took him to the police there where they asked him his name, age, mom's name, what I looked like and was wearing. He was fine to talk to all those people and as I was looking for him, the police stopped me. Because of my son's description. He has abduction and touch knowledge. Stranger danger, no
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• cont

In other words - we need to teach our kids how to survive in the world - and that includes stranger danger (and also "next door neighbor, or "funny uncle" or "touchy teacher" or.... danger as well) - NOT so that they are afraid of the world, but so they are prepared for it, and have the tools to take the world by storm, enjoying and living life (and being ALIVE to do it!!!!!!)

sorry - I'm off my soapbox about this now - it's just I feel very strongly about this topic!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have all mine. It never worked. They will talk to anyone. They have a concept where strangers looks like monsters. I always point out the different people are strangers. We don't know them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• haha...just yesterday a guy approached us at wal-mart trying to sell his cds (promoting himself) i told the guy i was sorry that i didnt have any cash on me..the whole time my son was tugging at me saying "come on mom..ya know you're not allowed to talk to strangers"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think to an extent you should. I also think one should also stress that if need be talking to cops and store employees are acceptable. We have had child seperated from their parents in our store and can't get the child to talk with us or even approach us until well past the parents freaking out. Could been avoided if the child knew it was okay to appraoch someone with a store name tag on for help.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2010