Should I take son to ER?

my son has had a temp since for almost 24hours i have tryed everything to get it down.. Warm bath,not putting clothes on him.. fever reducer, but nothing is working.. He is 2 and his temp is 101

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, how is he acting? I took my dd to urgent care for a temp of 102.5. She was totally acting normal, but the fever worried me. She was fine just gave her tylenol there and sent us on our way. However, I asked the dr at what temperature should i take her in?
    His response? "I would be more worried about a toddler that had a temp of 100-101 and was not eating at all, throwing up, crying non stop, diarrhea, sleeping ALL the time, than a child with a temp of 102 or so and was eating normal, comfortable pretty much having a normal attitude.".

Plus, fevers are a way of fighting sickness. It's natural and normal for the body. It when it gets TOO HIGH... like 104 and/or the child is acting not as himself.

Or if you really feel you should take him in, take him in , you ARE his mother and im sure you know best!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• take a good look at your little boy, he has a temp but what else is happening. Is he droopy, hard to rouse. Is he eating and drinking. A temperature is the body's natural defense against an infection and is a good sign that his body is doing the right thing, it's normal and good.. Only worry if he is droopy or won't eat/drink or having convulsions. Many drs are now telling moms to not try to drop the temp, because the high temp actually kills off some viruses. So if it is sky high, a tepid bath ( not cold, not warm but skin temp- if you put your finger in you can't feel any difference at all) tylenol, one less layer of clothing. Otherwise the temp is a really good sign that all is working well. Let his body fight and only panic if he is convulsing ( put in tepid bath that cools on its own by a degree or two), or not possible to rouse at all.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As long as he seemed fine otherwise no. If he is eating and drinking and not acting completely out of it or convulsing etc then our doc says at the age of 2 not even to give fever reducer meds until it hits 102 and head to the ER or call him only if it is above 102 and the meds won't bring it down. A fever is the body's natural defense so leave well enough alone and let it do its job is our doctors philosophy.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Take the time to read this. Many people rush to the ER when not needed.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Are you doing motrin then some tylonal. Alternating the meds. Tht ususally helps when my girls have temps...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• that happened to my DD like 2 weeks ago, she was around 103 for 12 hours but my doc said and my friend whos a nurse at the childrens hospital said STOP taking the temp and go strictly on how shes behaving. if shes acting normal alternate tylenol and motrin and shell be ok. my dd is almost 2 and if your DS is around the same age i would say do the same thing
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• No, take him to his pediatrician. I don't think it requires a ER visit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2010