Lilith?

Anyone know about her? I am trying to find information on her because it is said she was adam's first wife and that some consider her the first vampire or whatever. Any information would be great

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 7:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't heard the vampire thing, but I've heard about her. I think she's something that is found more within Jewish thought, though I'm not sure.
    It is said that she was replaced by Eve because she refused to be subservient and to let Adam dominate her (as well as refusing to be under him, sexually).
    That's all I can really remember this early in the morning...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• According to myth and legend, Lilith was the first woman, created before Eve.

She was Adam’s absolute equal.
    In the Garden of Eden, long before the eating of the apple, the Holy One created the first human beings — a man named Adam, and a woman named Lilith. Lilith said, "We are equal because we are created from the same earth."
    — from the medieval text Alphabet of Ben Sira, 23a-b

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thank you rkoloms. It was hard to try and find anything on her without all the trash or blah blah stuff lol
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I had never heard much about this and just read a little of the sites given above. Have to read into it more when I have time. More interesting than a basic book!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Wow! i like this Lillith chick! No wonder they named the Lillith fair after her. Oooh! We can't have equality between the sexes! All hell would break loose!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Lillith was Adam's first wife according to Jewish mythology. She was created as Adam's equal and expected to be treated as such. So, when he wanted her to lay below him for sex, she saw this an insulting and refused. As a result the marriage could not be consummated. Lillith was banished from the Garden and was transformed in to a "demon" or "disease bearing wind spirit."

The "vampire" title didn't come til later and she was mostly blamed for SIDS deaths than the deaths of adults. In fact SIDs deaths were generally considered to be visits from the "demon lillith" who was believed to steal the souls of children... But again, none of this came until much later - some time in the middle ages.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh she is a vampire now? This is my fun myth fact for the day.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Here is an interesting site Lilith. It is also important to know that the demonized characteristics assigned to Lilith are also the Goddess attributes. Such as her African parallels with the Goddess Oya.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010