Why so many girls nights out opportunities?

I get invited to so many girls nights out and women's evening networking events. Am I the only one who would rather be home with my children and husband at the end of the day? It means so much to me to feed my children dinner, to hear about their day and to be available to help with homework or talk about troubling things that may have happened in school. We run around like crazy on the weekends so we rarely catch up then.
Why does it feel like so many women are rushing out the door to "get a break" from the routine on a routine basis?
What about all the studies that point to the facts that our children will do better in school and on standardized tests, are less likely to become obese and are less likely to have problems with substance abuse if they have dinner with their families? Are people ignoring these warnings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• it is tough to balance family and business. I look for morning and lunch networking events, like a BNC (breakfast network club) or chamber of commerce lunch.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It's so mothers can get out once in awhile, socialize, meet new friends, old friends and have a break.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It helps to keep a lot of moms sane! whatever works to have a better functioning parent works for me. But I use to be the same way as you described and even now that my kids are grown I rather spend time with hubby than old friends, unless there is a special event to be celebrated.

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Missing one night every few weeks is not going to ruin efforts at spending time together. Everyone needs a break! The parents who need to hear those statistics are those who do not eat dinner with their kids on a regular basis...but if you do almost every night and wanna spend one night away, that is NOT going to do any harm to anyone, and in the end...it will make for a happier mommy. I think balance is important. Parents who NEVER take time for themselves often wind up burned out, resentful, and feeling isolated. It doesn't mean a mom who takes a night off doesn't enjoy being with her kids, it means she is human just like everyone else and needs a little breathing room.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• For some women it is an escape, but like you I cherish every moment with my family, and when I get a break it is with my hubby!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• just because you hear about so many opportunities, doesn't mean that mom's go to every single one of them... sometimes i need a break (single mom)... but most of the opportunities for mom's night out are on nights i can't do it anyway... so eh.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't get it. I have a friend who goes out at least once maybe twice a week. She is married with 1 child. I get asked by her constantly to attend. I say no thanks, she always tells me how awful it is not to get out once in a while. I don't feel the need. If I do get out I want to go with DH. I don't feel as a MOm the need to have the girls night out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• what is so wrong with women wanting to share some good bonding time with their fellow females? That's great that you would rather stay home, but many women have a lot of girlfriends they do not get to see & hang out with often. Maybe once a year i'll go have a girls night out. I love them, they are ao much fun! DH will have a guys night out a few times a year, but they don't call it "guys night out"...lol. They just call it going to the bar.

It's very healthy for both couples to have some fun without each other every once in a while.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Moms don't stop being women when they have kids. We ALL need a break once in a while and there is nothing wrong with needing that break. It doesn't mean that the woman doesn't care about her family or doesn't enjoy being with her family. It means that she is human, gets stressed out and needs a break. Having a girls night once in a while and it doesn't cause kids to have bad grades, be obese or turn into drug using, drug dealing juvenile deliquents. I go out twice a month for girls time and my 13 year old is well adjusted, intelligent and respectful who gets good grades and is not obeses. I have been doing this since he was an infant. A happy mom is a great mom!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm not saying that I'd rather stay home every night and I agree with everyone who advocates balance. I love my girlfriends and enjoy time with them. I'm more concerned about what appears to be a trend. There are so many girls night out opportunities that I fear it's becoming the routine. I sense that there are women going out more like a couple of nights a week rather than a once in a while night out. Once a month or twice a month, to me that sounds fine. Once a week or twice a week feels like a lot.
    NandJMom

Answer by NandJMom at 8:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010