Genesis doesn't make sense. Please explain.

So in reading the "Account of Creation" notice the word "account" I have stumbled on some interesting things that come in to question. Most believe Adam and Eve were the first people created meaning just the two of them right? Wrong. On the 6th day god created "people" in his own image. Male and female. Genesis 1:27 but then in Genesis 2 he created adam and eve? Also, it says god created seeds and so forth on the third day yet in Genesis 2 there are no plants as it had not rained and apparently created Adam that same day? I am confused.

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all metaphor. You cannot take Genesis literally. If you do, you're missing a few brain cells. People who THINK will not take Genesis as literally.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You're reading too much into it,its a parable. If a God made "man" anything like that,woman would have been made 1st,not a man.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• The Creation story if taken literally doesn't make sense. There are a lot analogies in it.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Why would woman have been made first?

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 8:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• God meant that the creation CALLED man will be created in His image meaning that he was speaking an idea. Than the verse that says that "instead there was a mist ....... man was created from the dust....." was all spoken after the 7th day when He stopped his work so it is kind of like a summary of what had been created and a story of how it came together. Because if you notice before all of it was said in Genesis 2: 4 "these are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created in the day that the lord god made the earth and the heavens." which is the same thing that happens in the beginning of many other books of the bible.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Woman is the source of life. Look at simpler lifeforms,they are asexual or female. Males were only created so that we'd be able to have more offspring than just splitting in two like amoeba!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• that is true, but God made humans to be different and started off with man and noticed that he was lonely and the creatures of the earth was not enough to keep him company, he needed someone like himself to be compatible with so than God created woman from man
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I do not take the bibal litterally. This is the exact reason why I don't. I am just curious as to how others can and then take it all to mean what they want. If you are to take it litterally then everything in it is what it is so you can't change it for your own explanation. Just another reason I don't believe in the bible. I could say I believe it is an explanation of how life started but it is not necessarily the truth!
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• There 's a difference between literal interpretation and a literalist interpretation. Literal takes every word that is written and take into today's standards. when in reality you have to put yourself back 2000 or so years to understand the meaning of many of the words or analogies. Think of it this way. Say in 2000 years future generations find a book of ours where it said it's raining cats and dogs. Do they take it literally? or figuratively? There are places in the Bible where it's very clear what the writer is saying. For instance, When Christ has to explain himself again because his followers don't quite get it they think he's talking in an analogy. He will say Amen Amen I say to you and rephrases. In other words hey I didn't stutter let me try this again for your simple minds.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Sorry I just thought of this with the cats and dogs. If the future generation was to read the whole passage or maybe the book then they would understand the meaning of that analogy. Where if they just took phrases out, the interpretation would be way out in left field.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010