Do you think the government (federal & some states) are deliberately keeping wages low?

This question isn't about the minimum wage even though it is mentioned.

These are a few of the taxes I pay as an employer.
6.25% Soc Sec (employer contribution)
3.6% Unemployment Tax
3.2% Workers Comp
3.4% State Surcharge (now required for if gross unadjusted income is over $250K

That is a total of 16.45% I pay on EVERY dollar you earn as my employee. This is based on the gross amount, not the net.

Based on the wages I pay, this is more than $3.00 per hour...that would be an extra $120 a week. Wouldn't YOU rather have this money in YOUR pocket?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oops, I changed my mind about mentioning the minimum wage and I didn't remove it from my first sentence.

It amazes me how much people could REALLY earn if they weren't taxed so much and if their employers weren't taxed so much.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Eeee gads! Your paying more than 6000.00 a year for just 1 person working 40 hours week. I didn't know it cost so much. I would rather have the money. It makes you kind of wonder about the govenrment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Makes one wonder.....
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What a bunch of bull. Yes, keep trying to brainwash everyone into thinking you should pay no taxes and the tax burden should then fall on your employees I guess?! Or maybe you'd like no clean water or fire or police departments. What do we really need public parks and libraries and schools for anyway? etc, etc, etc.. Sorry all these things cut into your profits!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 9:23 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What are you talking about AutumnLybbie??? Your comment makes ZERO sense. The taxes I referenced have NOTHING to do with water, fire/police or anything else you mentioned. YES, the burden does fall on my employees. I am not the greedy employer you would like for me to be. I pay $18 an hour for unskilled people that we train..these people would typically earn minimum wage...that would be $8.40 an hour in my state.

Go have some coffee and come back and try again.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• This is the main reason why I have not started my business yet. I would have to have an employee and it just would not be worth it. The only problem though with what you are saying is that most employers would pocket the extra $3, not give it to the employee. I know my boss would. Heck, if there wasn't a minimum wage, she would probably only be paying us $4-5 dollars an hour.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• AL, she wasn't saying that she wanted more profit (although businesses don't run on dreams and fairy dust), what she was saying is that employees would make more if the employer wasn't eaten alive by taxes. You are so set in your blame business owners mindset that you have no perspective. Just tunnel vision. Nobody is interested in your response if you aren't going to read and answer the actual question.

Now go ahead and respond that you did read the question and that you think the OP is only interested in her bottom line.  Annnnnnnnnd  . . . GO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I guess I missed the part where the op doesn't want to pay any taxes and I didn't know social security paid for schools. I thought it was for old people.

A question for the op. Why do you pay so much, where are you and are you hiring?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have wondered that every time I get a paycheck, started getting a paycheck in 1960....so I don't think this is anything NEW. LOL.I am not letting it bother me,though. I mean...how else will we get social security benefits and medicare when we all retire? We contribute to the funds.....
    So, I repeat it is not a new thing, devised by the current administration...sorry.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Uh-huh! Whatever.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 9:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2010