Do I owe my neighbor $25?

We put branches for pick up in front of our house. Our trash company picks them up for free. My neighbors trash company picked them up by accident and charged them $25. She does not want to call her trash company and dispute the charge. She wants me to pay her $25 instead. I offered have her give my info to her trash company to call me to discuss. She just wants me to pay her $25. I am thinking-no. What do you think?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• No you don't owe your neighbor for her companies mistake. Either you or her will need to contact the garbage company. Seeing it's your neighbor's bill in question they (the trash company) most like will NOT discuss the bill with you. So i might be pointless to contact her garbage company. Either way you do not owe her money for THEIR mistake.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think she should dispute the charges if you get the free service and it was her companies mistake.

Why do neighbors have different trash companies? Where do you live?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• nope. call her trash company... something sounds fishy.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• no
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• (meant smells fishy, but eh. lol.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Find out what company and call get the information yourself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We live in the suburbs of Denver. It is odd that 3 different trash companies service our area. You can pick which one you want to have. I had never seen that until I moved here- I agree-really strange!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• her trash company messed up, not you! She needs to dispute, and you should not pay her! How rude is she!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think you should call her trash company and tell them about their mistake. It was on YOUR property and you did not give them permission to take your items. So they essentially trespassed on your property and stole your items. It'd tell them to drop the charges to her and you would forget about filing a charge against them.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would say that you don't owe it. If she chooses to pay for it then so be it. My trash co. took my wheel borrow once. I tried to get it back uggghh. Sometimes those companies are kooky. I can not tell you what to do b/c she already must have paid it. I would never pay for something that wasn't mine. She needs to dispute the charge but I wouldn't be involved in it. I would simply say "oh well you can tell them that you didn't have any yard waste out that day".. Try to be nice b/c she is your neighbor and you don't want a neighborly war.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010