• In the Spotlight:

What can I do about my son's sports?

My son plays baseball and wants to pitch so bad-when the season started, he would almost beg to pitch at every practice and game. I have seen him pitch and he is really good. The thing is, he can't pitch because the "coaches son" is the pitcher. The other pitcher on the team happens to be the assistant coaches son. We have lost almost every game due to the pitchers "walking in" runs. My son can't be the running back on the football team because the "coaches son" is the running back. The quarterback is the other coaches son. The only team that my son has a chance on is basketball. I'm not saying this because he is my son, but my son is the fastest one out there-everyone knows he is fast and often comments on his speed. What can I do about these teams, because my son is getting discouraged about baseball and I hate to see his talent go to waste?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe you should try and register your son to play in a different league/team than he currently is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I agree, change teams or suggest to the coaches to rotate pitchers

Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Change teams. The good thing about it is as he gets older and starts to play for his school, there won't be as much of this sort of thing going on.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• they have usually different leagues, in our town we have leagues with the current schools the children are in ,or with the Ymca they have their teams.. and yet another is our (city's )Dad's club leagues.I signed mine up to 2 different ones to see which one he wants next year to play soccer with . they each have their own list they follow ....all go for the wins of course but I've noticed one doesn't let all the kids play all the time-they just let the really good ones have the fun.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• This is the first year that my son is on a baseball team, he is 10 and he has been complaining about the same thing too...every game my son asks the coach to pitch and the coach says...next game you will be the last pitcher up.That time never comes. I keep telling my son to be patient that he will get his turn..and I hope that he does. Most teams are coached by men that want to be a coach for thier own sons team...so your going to encounter that a lot. Thats not my case at this time...my sons current coach doesnt seem to favor his son at all. But in the past I've encountered that. I guess the best thing to do would be to coach a team ourselves or get our husbands to do it,lol. Its just the way it is. You can talk to the coach and find out why he hasnt pitched yet or maybe he just needs it brought to his attention.For kids sports of that age..they need to rotate ALL the positions so each kid gets experience for each one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I disagree with what sailorwifenmom says above about it not happening as much when he gets to the high school level. It happens at ALL levels ... coaches have their favorites and/or they succumb to pressure (and bribes) from parents to let their kids play. As hard as it can be on the kids because it is not fair, it is a valuable life lesson. Try talking to the coach and if you really can't get anywhere with him and if it is having a huge impact on your son, maybe it's time to find another league.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I feel your pain on this one. I have to deal with this every year, and it wouldn't help to change leagues because it happens in all of them. It really is irritating when the coaches' son is the pitcher and can't even catch the ball when it's "tossed" back to him from the catcher. And if he's not pitching, he is in the infield. Explanation? Coaches son. Plain and simple. One of my sons were in the infield last year, and put in the outfield this year. Kids feel like this is a demotion. I try to tell my kids that EVERY position is important, and outfield becomes even more important when they get older. I try to explain that it is best to be ready and willing to play any position that the coach asks them to play, and to do their best at it. I wanted to complain to the coach, but I didn't want to have that be a reflection on my son, so I kept quiet. I felt it was best to keep praising my kids at giving their best at any position.
    iceeboxers

Answer by iceeboxers at 1:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010