22 Month old Eating Issues!

My almost 22 month old son, refuses to eat so many things or he won't chew them. I see kids younger than him eating M&M's and chicken nuggets and he just won't do it.

He had his check up a few days ago & I told the Ped, and he just said its texture issues and he should get over it. But my family thinks I'm nuts because he won't eat normal food that toddlers his age are eating.

Any ideas on how I can get him to eat these things? (not m&m's) but chicken nuggets, blueberries, grapes, things like that he won't touch.

It's frustrating. But he is growing and is as healthy as can be, so I am not worried there. More or less of family giving me greif over these things & making me feel like a bad mother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't feel like a bad mother. When my son was 12 months he couldn't even eat baby food without choking and throwing up. We had a swallow study done and discovered a whole bunch of issues. He has been in therapy since. He is a little over two now and is still learning how to eat things like bread and such. One thing I have learned the past year is just ignore other people and do what you think is best for your child. Also I don't know if he likes pretzel sticks, but sometimes my son therapist will put food on the end of a pretzel stick and feed it to him. He will try almost anything on the end of a pretzel stick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son was a bit slow on dealing with some textures as well. Keep trying but cut things up very small and see if that will help. You can also try the same foods in different forms. They make applesauces that are mixed with other fruits. You can also try frozen fruits (very hard and crunchy) or let them defrost (very soft and squishy). Experiment a bit to see what textures he likes/doesn't then go from there. As long as your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either. As for your family, nod politely, thank them for their concern and ignore them.. :)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• This is the age they get picky...With 8 children I would save their meal or snack for the next eating time. You would be surprised how often they will eat. They may not eat till the third time you bring it out. You are not starving him, for if he was hungry enough he would of eaten the first or second time. But, do not give him food in between those times.
    gramama4

Answer by gramama4 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010