Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax preparer issues

How would you guys handle this situation. So this is the first year I have used this person. My husband used him before we got married. Well we will never use him again to say the least. So I have to file an injured spouse report because of my husbands student loans. Thats enough of a hassle, but thats not the problem. We filed Feb. 4th. We then recieved are refund May 28th finally. Only to find that my tax preparer completely screwed up all the numbers and got me an incorrect return. This is my livelyhood here that this asshole is messing with. That money may not mean much to him, but it does us. So now I have to refile only to have to wait another several months to get it back. Next problem is that I have been calling him since May 28th, and I have yet to get ahold of him. I certain he is avoiding me. I got his home number yesterday, so I'm going to call him today. I want this at very least fixed and my money back. Cont....

Answer Question

Asked by Roisin07 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (987 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • But I have heard that he has had problems before. I should probably report him to the IRS or something. What do you all think I should do?

    Answer by Roisin07 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • What are his qualifications? Is he a CPA, an Enrolled Agent, or just some guy who does taxes? If he is a CPA you report him to the State Board of Accountancy in your state. If he is an Enrolled Agent you report him to the IRS. If he is just some guy that does this, then I'm not sure where you go. I would suggest making contact with him and asking him to fix the problem for free or have him pay a professional to fix the problem for you. Of course, if you did not give him all the information to do the return to begin with, then it really is on you to pay for corrections.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • I'm not sure what his actual title his. He has an office and been doing this for 20 years.. And he had all information and this isn't on me.

    Answer by Roisin07 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • You can report him to your state revenue department as a fraudulent tax preparer. If other people come forward as well, then they will take action. I know here in NC, they have to register as a tax preparer and get an ID. If they too many complaints, they will take that away.

    Answer by dawpea at 10:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Hopefully, he signed your return as "tax preparer" and you can file a claim with the IRS.

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.