Constant stomach pains or "playing" me ??

My son is 2-1/2, he complains all the time of a "sore" stomach, or says "he's sick" everyday - its usually at bedtime or in the morning so the Dr's and my husband think he's playing me for cuddle time or trying to get out of bedtime... but it will also happen randomly through the day-he has ZERO other symptoms, besides he wakes up 2-3 times a night I guess... I try to let him CIO and he flips his lid - literally becomes uncalmable - and I've done it for 6 weeks at one point and it never got better - I have this Mommy instinct that there HAS to be something wrong but I have been to 4 different Dr's and because he has no other symptoms... they wont' do anything, what CAN they do even?? my husband is mad that I keep taking him in and telling me that I am the one feeding his head that "he's sick" -, I guess at this point could be true..Already checked in to food allergies and he is lactose intl. But that is it -what now??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 4 yr old has had tummy cramps for a year now, with no other symptoms. It was mostly in the morning and she was pretty much diagnosed with IBS, which they said she'd outgrow. After several months of not outgrowing it & getting worse and more frequent, we took more trips to the dr and did different trials with dairy elimination, laxatives, probiotics, etc. They tested her for celiac and it was negative. The gastroenterologist we saw last week ordered more lab work and put her on prevacid tablets to see if that helps. He said there are a variety of tests for celiac and some are less reliable. There are other tests that can reveal celiac that also show if other autoimmune disorders are present too.
    I sometimes thought she was playing us, but it still happens almost daily, no matter what we do. I know they act out for attention, but when it continues like this, you're right to keep working on finding a solution
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• OP: I have had him tested for Celiac's and that was negative - but that's the most they will do for me at this point. And the Celiac's would cover a gluten allergy - but they won't do an "official" allergy test for him because I was told they are completely inaccurate at this age, unless he was showing Life threatening symptoms.. I was told by all Dr's. And that's what I mean. I totally understand kids will play the Sick card but... he's not getting anything out of doing this- He doesn't get to sleep with me, the most I do is put a washcloth on his tummy and tell him its bedtime - and when I don't do that, he freaks out - some nights he will sleep through the nigh ( only 2 times maybe in a month ) some nights its 1 time and some nights its 6 times - it probably IS Habit by now but I can't get it to stop...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• he's playing you. my son used to do this every morning before school starting when he was 5. Went to multiple doctors appts because he was so good at acting sick he would even start to cry that I didn't believe him. Fortunately, I had a great and patient pediatrician. Each time there was nothing wrong. If you ask your son where does it hurt and he gives a kind of all over the stomach area, he's playing you.. if he points to a specific spot (lower left area, upper area and its very specific and not generalized...then back to the doctor). My son never ever had a fever either..thing is one time we did take him to the doc for more pains, both I and the doc thought he was faking it again and it turned out he had strep throat and yeah still no fever... so i suggest try to find out whats going on and also, dont give in to the fake moments or it wont stop... BTW my son is 22 and we laugh about it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• See if thy will test him for ulcers. They can gt them at this age.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• His symptoms might be referred symptoms, meaning that the issue is actually somewhere else in his body, probably near his belly, but b/c of his age, it's his belly he refers to as having the discomfort. Is he peeing okay? The bladder is in the same area & he might be thinking the pain is his stomach. Has he been checked for a possible UTI? Can he point to the painful spot? Is it always the same spot or does it move around? If it moves around, most likely he has gas & you may want to take a look at his diet. Could he be constipated? If his bowel movements are regular, but always soft or liquidy, he may have a blockage that he is leaking softer stools around & a clean out is in order. Have you taken him to see a GI specialist or only regular pediatricians? You said he was tested for Celiac - was that by biopsy or blood test? The blood test is often wrong. What about EE? Has he been tested for that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• OP:His Celiac's test was a blood Test. I think a test to shut me up really. He complains and its always in his tummy in the same area but he's only 2-1/2 so he just rubs his whole belly area and says its sore or he's sick. It doesn't seem to lessened by me dismissing it either and I have been telling him he's not sick anymore because my husband and DR seem to think I am feeding him this soreness. He pee's normally but never tested for UTI - stools are regular when we make sure he has daily fiber of 7-8 grams per the dietician appt we had for him. We did see a GI specialist when he was an infant who put him on acid reflux meds that didn't work but no further tests were done either. I feel every appt /dr we are just told to "if it gets worse or he has symptoms, come back" My mommy instincts are going off all the time but they have been wrong too so much.. its hard to know what to do anymore
    Anonymous