why is it when someone says something about "submissive housewife" people get all bent out of shape?

why do people jump thing thinking the woman is in prison and there husband is a slave driver? Why do people jump to "oh so i have no say in anything"? or "you poor thing it must be aweful living like that"?

Has anyone ever thought it could be a lifestyle of choice? and that the woman may of choose to to be submissive to her husband? or even that the woman could be happy letting her husband be the head of the family?

Where did man turn what the bible says about a marriage into a prison lifestyle? Instead of a happily working family with lot of love. or is it to much to believe that a husband and wife could really love each other in this kind of lifestyle.

can people really not see that couple that choose this lifestyle very rarely divorce and are happy a lot more then couple that don't? this is completely beyond me to understand how people have turned it so negitive to be submissive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Because MANY women think that since women in the 50's/60's/70's "fought" for the right to be equal then you should want that. And can't possibly understand why some women just find satisfaction in raising their children, keeping a house and being sure her husband is completely satisfied not realizing that the husband almost always makes sure the wife is happy. Some couples realize that there can't be two bosses. Like the question yesterday about the poster saying her sister was lazy because she didn't want to work after spending 25 years raising children. Some people don't understand. Even in households were the wife is submissive the rule still applies: If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. Anyways, I hope this makes sense.
    Anonymous

• It would be a cold day in hell when I would be a submissive wife, but whatever works for someone else is none of my business
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Feel better?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i would say, that it would not work in their relationship, and they are more voicing that opinion. it works well for us.

jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Because they don't understand what it means. You can't expect people who don't have the same faith to follow the same rules. Or even to know why we have such rules.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Being a "submissive" wife is not the same thing as having to obey and be a doormat. MOST people do not understand this.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I am old fashioned in some ways! My husband works and I stay home with my children and do the house work, but I am not miserable, for instance...My husband always gets up with our new babies at night, I have never done that, so if that were the case he would not be the one to do so!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• The term is Un-American. The term, not necessarily the life style, squashes independence, and people don't bother to find out what it means. The word is objectionable at best. You need better marketing.  You need a word with a nicer spin to it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• How about Traditional 1950's household? LOL Like Scarlett and Rhett....He was "The Man" of the house, but, she was by no means a doormat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was born and bathed in a fire storm of testoterone and I would or could never be submissive. My father taught me how to man up and not bitch out. His mother was strong and she also taught me that women should be an equal partner. I am an equal partner and I also run my own business on the side. But here is what I say if this is what you think you should do I say rock it and be happy. I got no beans against what works for you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2010