will the new health care plan hurt or help my family

we have blue cross and though we make around 35,000-38,000 a year (family of four) have already paid about 2k due to a chronic condition i have. we like and use our fsa (i heard the plan cuts it severely)

I'm pretty sure we probably won't qualify for government assistance so i'm just wondering what this plan will do for us. i hope it won't make things more expensive for us (cutting the fsa) or cause our rates to go up. does anyone know and if possible can you link to something explaining it to me.

thanks and please no bashing of me or anyone else. let's keep this as nice as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This plan will hurt everyone. People don't realize it will be just as expensive as regular insurance. Where is the GOVT going to the money?? US! Higher taxes all across the board!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I believe with the FSA, it limits the amount you can put on it and eliminates the ability to buy over the counter drugs. Not sure about prescriptions though, I am sure someone else will be able to answer that.

Since you don't make much per year, you will possibly be eligible for subsidies to pay for your health insurance plan. The prices for plans will change dramatically before this law takes effect - if it ever does. If Republicans get control of the congress, they can refuse to fund the program and things will continue as they are now. Until all lawsuits are settled in regards to the constitutionality of the law, it won't take effect. There are currently many suits that have been brought against the law, so this will take some time. Subsidy income requirements will likely change before the law takes effect as well, right now they state that if you make under $80K you are eligible. That number will go down.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• That number absolutely will go down just as all the other numbers before have.Also,those with preexisting conditions seem to think this is going to be like a dream little do they realize if they can get insurance it will cost them dearly it won't be free OR cheap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It has already hurt me. My rates went up and the doctors that hubby and I see are charging way more than they used to. Enough that it threw our budget out of wack and now we can't make ends meet and I have to get a job. My husband has one doctor he has to see twice a month that we had to pay $12/mo. now the same service costs us $276/mo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• sorry but were military, so dont really know, but you can ask a health lawyer!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It will hurt... you will end up paying WAY more.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It will hurt everyone. Promoting it as being free is a big lie, (unless, of course, you are one of the many who do not work & rely on PA to carry you) it will be paid for by our taxes which will continually be going up to cover it & which we will be paying for 2 years before the services even begin. Quality will be substandard because that's all the government will allow & can afford & the rationing of services will ultimately cost the lives of anyone who isn't deemed healthy or productive enough to receive the health care they need to survive; infants, the disabled & the elderly. Socialism never works & a socialist or communist society will eventually collapse.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Starting 2011 your FSA will be limited to $2500 and there will be new limits on what the money can be used for.
    Also in 2011 they are instituting a fee to insurance companies that will most likely cause them to raies consumers costs. Starts at 2 billion and goes up to 10 billion by 2019. (meaning medical costs to us will go up not down.)
    Thats not including the new tax on prescription drugs that went into effect this year, meaning your meds will go up if they havent' already.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• imho, it will hurt your family.  Go check out this site  http://republicans.waysandmeans.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=178694  There is a link at the top of the article, a "here" which will take you to a timeline of when the highlights and lowlights of Obamacare will be implemented.  I highly recommend reading i

29again

Answer by 29again at 5:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I meant to say that I highly recommend reading the timeline. (got up to check something on the stove which needed immediate attention, and came back to find that my gd had magically submitted my answer! At less than 2 she is amazing on the puter!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2010