When is it okay to meet a guy you met online?

I've been chatting with this guy for a couple weeks. He seems really nice and cool. I'm interested to meet him, cause I've become shallow and believe it's important that I'm physically attracted to him. Pictures only show so much, it's more of a connection you can't get through email I care about. Anyway, how much should I know about him before we meet? What would be a good first meeting? I know it would have to be somewhere totally public, we'd meet up and I'd make sure someone knew where I was and have like a check in time with them. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd chat first for a couple months, then start phoning him.
    Then... maybe after a YEAR I would meet up.

Its risky business, really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I met my guy after a month. I met him at a restaurant. We ate and sat and talked there. I we both left to our own homes from there. We have now been dating for a month. LOL He has now spent the night at my house. We went about it safely.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Do lunch somewhere just like any other date. Take a friend if you are concerned. I used to meet guys online all the time. I met SO that way. Just do your homework before you go. Do searches like at the county courthouse website to make sure he doesn't have a criminal record and directories to make sure he doesn't have a Mrs Him living at that address.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Just be sure to meet at a place during the day, be sure to have your friends know where you are at. If you feel uncomfortable be sure you have a friend who can call you and get you out of the situation so you are not rude.

Don't rush at all, don't let him know where you live-I mean your address. An enjoy, you will know by your first date if he is worth a second one, try to do lunch not in the evening. : ) good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is no more risky than meeting a stranger at some function. People treat it weird because it is online.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Hmm dont know, met my husband on a dating line years ago. he came to meet me over 3000 miles away.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Yeah, my SO came an hour and a half. He drives that every week to meet me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i think a couple weeks is too soon but if his pictures look like he doesnt need any dating help from a website, i would be concerned. in public is the best way i think, although, when i did it...i waited about 2 or 3 years but thats only because he lived in another state as i did and it took him that long to make it to my state to finally meet him. i had my full trust in him and im glad things worked out as it did.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I kinda met SO online, but we were introduced on myspace through a mutual friend. So we met at another mutual friends house. But where you don't know any of the same people I would agree with pp's and go somewhere like a restaurant during the day. And tell a friend to call you about an hour in, to make sure you are safe and to also be your "emergency call" if he turns out to be something totally different then what you thought, so you can get outta there...lol Good Luck though.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't know about where you live, but here you can go on the county jail website and there is a spot you can look at mugshots from current and past jail residents that have been arrested in this county. It's not for entertainment purposes, so you're not supposed to look people up and have fun w/it I guess, but it would come in handy to check if someone had been arrested before and lied about it. All you have to do is put in their last name, and as much of the first as you know and it brings up everyone w/that last name and first. It also shows you when they were arrested, how many times and what for.
    I agree with you on the public place, letting people know where you are at and having someone call and check in.
    I wouldn't go home right after in case he's some creepy guy because I wouldn't want him following me, but I'm a little paranoid about such things. If you feel ready to meet, just be safe and have fun!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2010