how do I get my son to respect my authority as his mother.

kimble003

Asked by kimble003 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is he? If he is still young enough, you teach respect first of all by establishing your authority as his mother. I believe that is best done by telling a child once what you expect of him and explaining to him that if he does not obey immediately, he will be spanked. This is what has been done in my family for generations and it has worked extremely well. As parents have become less inclined to spank, the lack of respect for authority has proportionately increased. If he is too old to spank, then about your only leverage is to take away all the stuff that you have provided him in the way of comforts and extras. Dr. Laura Schlessinger says to even take the bed and let him sleep on the floor, taking everything except two changes of clothes. Somehow you have to establish that you are in charge and that he isn't.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• be the adult! He does what you say or a concequence!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Be consistent. Be fair but be strong. You are the adult. If you mess up, own up to it. Dont try to be his best friend. He needs a parent. Good luck.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Be consistant, follow through, stand your ground. Be fair to the situation. If he's old enough talk with him about ways you can comprimise on certain things. Curfew, chores, style, etc. You are the adult, he's not. If you allow him to control you then own up to that, because you're allow him to assume authority. You brought him into this world, so stand up for your obligation to him and be the authority figure he needs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2010