should we ban plastic shopping bags?

California is on their way. I think we should, plastic bags do not biodegrade & eventually reaches our food chain.

Do you use reusable bags when shopping? Do you think we should ban plastic bags?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 11:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "or recycle it at home by using it to help with storage, garbage, cleaning, or a number of different ways"

yeah, but how long do people actually hang onto their plastic bags for? You can resuse them only a number of times before you bave a but load of plastic bags everywhere.

And when adding them to packages, they still eventually get thrown away. The statistics i got were are pretty ligitimate. Unless you make an effort to recycle your plastic bags, they will eventually get thrown away. You can use them for daipers, stuffing crap in or however you want to use them. But, they don't last forever & will tear & get thrown out. What i'm saying is regardless how one reuses them at home, they eventually make it back into a landfill, unless you make a point to recycle it. Reusing is not recycling.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i don't think we should band them i use them as trash bags
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I use the plastic bags the store bags my stuff in then I save them and use them for trash bags for the bathroom and other small trashcans in the house.
    There are a bunch of uses for the bags and they don't have to be immediately tossed away as soon as you get home.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would be happy with a ban on them as long as my grocery store stops charging $10 per re=usable bag that is of poorer quality and less sturdy than the plastic bags.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I use reusable bags as much as I can but I still get plastic bags from time to time. I reuse everything though. I very rarely just throw a plastic bag away. You can come up with a lot of uses for plastic bags when you have them. I am in a online book exchange and I wrap the books I ship in plastic bags to keep them dry if the package happens to get wet. I use a lot that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have been using cloth shopping bags for about 4 years now, just the other day I was thinking about how many bags I personally have saved and figured well over 3000. I see people loaded up with plastic bags at the grocery stores and its just so wasteful....and the kicker is that the cloth bags are SO MUCH BETTER, you can jam them full of stuff and they are so much easier to carry cause you can throw them over your shoulder. I don't know if they should be banned, but they should be limited, like only for meats, etc. The reusable bags are totally affordable, and heck, about 5 of the 15 or so I own were free give-aways from stores. Its a total win win to use them, seriously.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I use them as trash bags, for dirty diapers and dog mess when we go for a walk. I would be very sad if they outlawed them.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Anon 11:51;

WHAAA?????

In every single store down here in Atlanta, all the reusable bags are no more than $1.00, and they are all very good quality. SERIOUSLY, the Target, Walmart, Publix, Kroger...all of them..only $1.00. Where on earth do you shop at? I would never pay $10 for a shopping bag. But i have about 10 really nice ones i bought at publix for only a dollar.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010