How to get odors out of clothes when washing

I have three very busy boys and their clothes smell raunchy!! :) Can someone recommend a product or products to include in the wash to get rid of the smell.

Still1hotmamii

Asked by Still1hotmamii at 11:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Add some baking soda in the wash to neutralize the smell and for a rinse agent, use white vinegar and then do a second rinse with some downy. For their baskets - spray with lysol. Shoes are a big issue in our house but we make sure we by cloth based sneakers and leather based other shoes as the plastic shoes hold smells worse. We also spray with a vinegar/water solution inside the shoe once a week.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My MIL (who has a 12 yr old and a soon to be 16 yr old) uses Tide with Febreeze. It made her kids a little less stinky.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Is it under armour? For some reason I think that material always stinks. I use bleach on all my whites which is good. Looking forward to seeing what other Mom's use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• you could use baking soda but i dont know if that will solve the problem...you could do what my SIL does...drench the clothes with fabric softener to cover up the smell until next time.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Gain with liquid fabric softener in the washer, then dryer sheets in the dryer also! :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Baking Soda.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If they are super stinky, add your detergent & a cup of baking soda to the washer as it fills, then stop it when it's filled up and add the clohtes. Let the clothes soak in the washer for an hour, then turn it back on and let it finish the wash cycle. The baking soda will absorb the super stinkiness.

If they are just regular stinky, then add a 1/2 cup of baking soda and a 1/2 cup of white vinegar to every load to absorb the odors.
    Anonymous

• I use 20 Mule Team Borax for stinky laundry (diapers, or baby spit-up, workout clothes, anything our sick old cat pees on). I fill the washer with warm water & detergent, then add a scoop of borax and the clothes. I leave the lid up so the wash cycle will stop and sit overnight after it swishes for a while. Then I shut the lid in the morning so the cycle will finish like normal. The Borax is only a few dollars for a big box, and you can get it at Target, Walmart, etc.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Believe it or not, pour a half a can of coke in the wash and it takes the smell totally out. I have a friend who's husband is a mechanic and his clothes reek of grease and it's the only thing she has found that ever worked.
    Anonymous