How do you organize your family calendar, paperwork, etc...?

Its just so messy looking, the calendar, bills, paperwork, etc...I need it in front of my face because the majority of it are things I need to take care of, but its taking over my kitchen...how do you organize all this stuff and keep it neat?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a junk drawer that I keep a lot of stuff in, my calendar is on my phone, with alarms and everything to remind me where I need to be, and we keep the bills in a stack on the island in the kitchen.
    I know someone who keeps the calendar hanging up in the kitchen, notice type things stuck on a magnetic dry erase board and bills on a wall hanging shelf.
    My mom sticks it all on her fridge and has a drawer just for bills and other stuff like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We have a calendar hanging in the kitchen for all the appointments and what not. All the bills get dumped on my husband's desk and he deals with them. :D All my important reminders are taped to the wall in front of my computer desk because I'm too lazy to get my message boards out of the garage and hang them up.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh, and I also have a small 1 drawer filing cabinet under my desk for important paperwork.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I try to color-code my calender and it really helps. Each child has a color, family outings, church events, no-school days, birthdays...all in different colors.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Try the website cozi.com it has tons of family organizing tools that I found as a lifesaver. It will also email you reminders and updates. I couldnt live without it!!!!
    Still1hotmamii

Answer by Still1hotmamii at 11:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i have two dry erase boards, one is a calendar. we too have one color for each person. the other board has a running to do list for dh and me, and it also has future dates written on it.
    i have a menu planner magnetized pad of paper on the fridge, and a grocery list magnetized on the fridge too.
    i have folders on the wall for each kid, which holds pertinent school and church information, and i have a short folder on the wall for coupons. we have a bill organizer, but dh is in charge of bills right now, and he doesn't even use it!
    i have magazine holders for paperwork.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I use the microsoft works calendar on my computer to keep track of everything. It lets me set up separate calendars for different topics (bills, medical appts., garden, school activities, extracurricular activities, etc.) which I can view individually or together on a single page, so I always know what is happening when, with whom, for how long, etc. I have eliminated paper billing for just about everything, so that has cut waaay down on what I need to file. For the things I still need to file that are active items, I have a filing cabinet with hanging file folders, one for each item needing filing. For things that are no longer active, like old tax returns, I have a plastic bin that holds hanging file folders that I just transfer the file folders from my active drawer into. I also have a file folder bin just for my son's important school papers (IEP copies, test forms, etc.). For things I don't need to keep, I shred them.
    Anonymous

• Calendar is in Outlook

Bills are online

Paperwork is in manila folders in hanging files in a desk drawer.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I use Palm Pilot as my calendaring system and my to-do list; everything is color-coded. I use Quicken to track finances; most of my bills are automatically withdrawn from my checking account and I opt for electronic notice rather than paper. One good rule to keep paperwork from accumulating and taking over is to only deal with it ONCE. Most folks have a tendency to pick it up and plop it right back down for processing later; next thing you know, papers have overtaken your space! I have a small file bin (only 6" deep) that I do keep handy for those pertinent/daily things; everything else gets filed into my filing cabinet as I process it. Once a year (usually at tax time), I purge my files, keeping only what is absolutely necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2010